Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie "missing camera" error with iPhone upload

Hi!

Im using iMovie (version 10.09) and I upload footage from two sources

-my Nikon D7100

-iPhone 7

I have created a video prior to the one I'm working on currently with ZERO issues.

Ive changed nothing from when I created my last successful movie (no software updates, new phones, setting changes etc)

but am suddenly receiving a "missing camera" error when i plug my iPhone into the mac to upload the footage.

Not ALL the video footage is shown with a "missing camera" error. the footage from a few months ago is visible both on my iPhone when plugged in and in iMovie after the upload is complete.

I uploaded the "missing camera" footage thinking it was just taking long to load but no luck. The audio sometimes works, but theres no real pattern to when it does or doesn't. I have tried restarting iMovie and updating my phones software, but nothing is working.

I believe it is an error with iMovie because if i click on the footage to play on my computer outside of iMovie, the video plays just fine in quick time. What am i missing?

This is a screenshot of what iMovie shows when my iPhone is plugged in. As you can see, "March 8," is when the videos stop appearing. Some shots are blue like that after uploaded to iMovie and some show a "hidden camera" message.

User uploaded file

iPhone 7, iOS 11.4.1, iMovie

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 1:19 PM

Hi,

First, confirm that you are running iMovie 10.1.9 (you said 10.09) with High Sierra. If you are not, update to those.

If the above does not apply, or if the problem still persists after updating, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. See if that solves it.

Also, check the format of your iPhone 7 videos. If they are HEVC H.265, try re-exporting them in the "most compatible" setting on your iPhone.

If none of the above solve it, you might try importing the vids to your desktop, instead of directly into iMovie, using the Image Capture app on your Mac. Then drag them from your desktop into iMovie and see if you get a good import.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2018 1:19 PM in response to JorieWall

Hi,

First, confirm that you are running iMovie 10.1.9 (you said 10.09) with High Sierra. If you are not, update to those.

If the above does not apply, or if the problem still persists after updating, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. See if that solves it.

Also, check the format of your iPhone 7 videos. If they are HEVC H.265, try re-exporting them in the "most compatible" setting on your iPhone.

If none of the above solve it, you might try importing the vids to your desktop, instead of directly into iMovie, using the Image Capture app on your Mac. Then drag them from your desktop into iMovie and see if you get a good import.

-- Rich

iMovie "missing camera" error with iPhone upload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.