Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i add apps to iCloud?

How do u add apps to icloud?

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 5:38 PM

I am not confusing anything. Believe it or not, I know what I am talking about. I said that apps are not saved in iCloud. They are not. The are downloaded from the original source, which is the iTunes store and app store. I have roughly 20 GB of apps (about 290 apps). My iCloud backup is 2.9 GB. Just app data.

See: About backups for iOS devices - Apple Support

Note especially what is NOT saved in a backup:

iCloud backups include nearly all data and settings stored on your device. iCloud backups don't include:

• Data that's already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Notes, My Photo Stream, iCloud Photo Library, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages*
  • Data stored in other cloud services, like Gmail and Exchange mail
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Touch ID settings
  • iCloud Music Library and App Store content (If it's still available in the iTunes, App, or iBooks Store, you can tap to re-download your already purchased content.)
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2018 5:38 PM in response to fracturedappendix

I am not confusing anything. Believe it or not, I know what I am talking about. I said that apps are not saved in iCloud. They are not. The are downloaded from the original source, which is the iTunes store and app store. I have roughly 20 GB of apps (about 290 apps). My iCloud backup is 2.9 GB. Just app data.

See: About backups for iOS devices - Apple Support

Note especially what is NOT saved in a backup:

iCloud backups include nearly all data and settings stored on your device. iCloud backups don't include:

• Data that's already stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Notes, My Photo Stream, iCloud Photo Library, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages*
  • Data stored in other cloud services, like Gmail and Exchange mail
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Touch ID settings
  • iCloud Music Library and App Store content (If it's still available in the iTunes, App, or iBooks Store, you can tap to re-download your already purchased content.)

Aug 30, 2018 5:17 PM in response to fracturedappendix

fracturedappendix wrote:

The only way to do this is to set up your backups to save in iCloud.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

This link should help you out.

That does not add apps to iCloud. It only saves app data in iCloud. If you need to restore apps they are always restored from the App Store.

Aug 30, 2018 5:24 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

"After using an iCloud backup to restore or set up a device: Your settings and accounts are restored from the iCloud backup you chose. Your device restarts and begins downloading your purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, photos, and other content." - iCloud: Restore or set up iOS devices from iCloud

I think you're confusing how iCloud saves contacts, photos, etc. with an actual iCloud backup. The purpose of an iCloud and for that matter an iTunes backup is to restore your apple device to whenever you last backed it up.

Aug 30, 2018 8:30 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for your explanation. I do realize, however, apps are not directly linked to iCloud but they are downloaded upon restoring an Apple device, along with all the other data provided in a backup. I think the person asking the question is looking for a way to download apps through iCloud, and the only way that could ever be possible is to restore from a backup. I am aware that you cannot simply download applications one by one through iCloud like you can with app data and other things that are stored in iCloud along with your backups. I was simply trying to give the person who started this thread the closest thing to what they were asking for.

How do i add apps to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.