Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable inline attachment viewing in Mail

This Terminal code doesn't work anymore.

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

I just want to turn off the Inline Attachment Viewing in Mail. Mostly, I want to be able to print the email without having half the page taken up with an image of the attachment. There needs to be an option to print the email with attachments showing as icons (or even not at all, if the file name appears in the header like in Outlook). Even when I manually change all the attachments to View as Icon, the print dialogue still spits it out as embedded.

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2018 4:51 PM

The terminal command DOES work, but you must first give Terminal full access.

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access

Then add Terminal.app. Once that is done, reopen Terminal and run the command.

12 replies

Oct 17, 2018 8:58 AM in response to RayMcFay

RayMcFay wrote:

This Terminal code doesn't work anymore.

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

..I want to be able to print the email without having half the page taken up with an image of the attachment.

There needs to be an option to print the email with attachments showing as icons (or even not at all, if the file name appears in the header like in Outlook).

Even when I manually change all the attachments to View as Icon, the print dialogue still spits it out as embedded.

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

How to disable inline attachment viewing in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.