Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware or not

Hello,

Every time I click on some sites within Safari version 11.1.2 I get a announcement that my iMac is infected.

Do I have to take this serious. Is this from Apple? I rather think it must be malware.

With Google Chrome I do not have this problem.

Any idea how to remove this annoying popup.

Is there a way to reset Safari.

By the way my system is Mac high Sierra 10.13.6

Sorry , the the picture is in Dutch, but it says that my computer is infected with 3 viruses.

thank's and greetings

Richard

User uploaded file

macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 1, 2018 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2018 2:22 AM

It is not on your computer; it is a web page. You get to see that page because they detect Safari on a Mac. You can just close the browser window.

If Safari goes to this page at launch every time, then you can delete

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState

(To access the User Library folder, use the Go menu in Finder with the Shift key pressed.)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2018 2:22 AM in response to Richard R

It is not on your computer; it is a web page. You get to see that page because they detect Safari on a Mac. You can just close the browser window.

If Safari goes to this page at launch every time, then you can delete

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState

(To access the User Library folder, use the Go menu in Finder with the Shift key pressed.)

Sep 1, 2018 1:55 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I assume this happens when you visit “certain” sites. It is those sites that allow their advertisers to redirect webpages (multiple times) to shady webpages such as this one.

You can block the redirected webpages (domains) with a manual list using network monitoring software, but it might be easier to not visit sites where this happens.

You can block some of these with an ad blocker browser extension. But the advertisers keep trying to circumvent that from happening.

Malware or not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.