Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I Create Coverflow effect - as in itunes

The coverflow effect in itunes looks great and a client wants to replicate it in their video program, is there a plug in or template for this effect that can be used in motion?

Tell me if it is just a case of manually setting it up as I can see how this might be done.

thanks all
Tony

G5 Dual 2ghz Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Feb 11, 2007 9:16 PM

5 replies

Feb 12, 2007 2:39 AM in response to Tony Gay

it's gonna be quite a long winded process but will yield pretty sexy results....

create layer 1 - inside of which add another two layers, first name original clip, second you can call reflection...

drag your video file into "original" layer and scale it down to approx 60% (upto your specs)....

copy this video clip into the "reflection" layer... in the properties, change the Y value of scale to a minus value of what it was before (should have been on 60%, simply add a minus before the "60"). Drag this layer down to underneath the original, you will now see your "reflection".... change the opacity so it matches your desires more....

Next take the original project layer 1 and mess around with it's perspective settings (four corners...) keyframing it all up will give you the exact result that you are looking for....

repeat for the rest of your images and bob is well and truly your uncle!

you may wish to export each image and it's reflection layer and then reimport them all into your final project just to keep your system running smooth....

good luck with it eh?

Feb 12, 2007 2:46 AM in response to Tony Gay

The coverflow effect in itunes looks great and a
client wants to replicate it in their video program,
is there a plug in or template for this effect that
can be used in motion?

Tell me if it is just a case of manually setting it
up as I can see how this might be done.

I bet this animation uses technologies built into MacOS X - Core Image and Quartz Extreme.
Go check out www.quartzcompositions.com - maybe the folks over there will have a clue.

Also check out Apple's own Quartz Composer, a developer app to do cool things like coverflow:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/QuartzCompos er/qcconcepts/chapter_2_section_1.html#//appleref/doc/uid/TP40001357-CH202-TPXREF101

You will find Quartz Composer as a part of Apple's Developer Tools.

Hope this helps
Michal

Feb 12, 2007 7:24 AM in response to Tony Gay

Hey Tony,

The ninja has it right: cover flow in the iApps is done using the same technology in Quartz Composer. QC by itself, however, tends to do stuff that isn't quite broadcast-ready (things aren't always antialiased, etc), but is great for application UI work.

Since Motion doesn't have 3D camera functionality, you'll either have to do the above-mentioned four-corner trick (lots of elbow grease) or turn to some thrid-party plugins.

Zaxwerks makes a plugin called Stackwerks that provides basic 3D functionality. I believe Peter Wiggins has also made a freebie 3D plugin available (uses FxFactory).

Try checking those out and see if they get you closer to your goal.

Feb 12, 2007 7:25 AM in response to Tony Gay

Easier in After Effects with its true 3d space for its flat 2d layers.

See creativecow.net, navigate to the AE tutorials, and start looking around for the reflection series. That will only tell you how to build the mirror images in the pool. Flipping the CDs is a question using of time-linked and time-offest expressions and it cannot be interactive. This is advanced stuff; you won't get edges on the jewel cases unless you build multiple-planed objects. Hire someone to do it for you.

There is probably a way to fake it in Flash. There's a way to fake anything in Flash.

bogiesan

How do I Create Coverflow effect - as in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.