Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the opacity of the font in titles in iMovie, I used to be able to do it in older versions of iMovie and used it to watermark my movies, any help would be greatly appreciated.

How do I change the opacity of the font in titles in iMovie, I used to be able to do it in older versions of iMovie and used it to watermark my movies, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Sep 1, 2018 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 3:49 AM

Hi,

In iMovie 10 there is no feature that varies the opacity of a title.

You can do it with a workaround, although it involves a little work. First open a new project. Then open with the Preview app a duplicate of any random photo. Do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Delete. That leaves you with a gray screen that is a transparency. Save that to your desktop. Drag it into the new project that you created. It will look like a black clip. Add your title to the clip. Share out the project. It will appear on your desktop as a movie. Drag the shared out movie into your old project. Place it above the clip in the timeline that you want to add the title to. Select the title clip that you placed above, and click on the Overlay icon (the one that looks like overlapping squares) in the tool bar in the upper right of your screen. In the selection box, choose Cutaway. You will see an opacity slider to the right. Slide it to adjust the opacity of your title.

There is an alternative way. Instead of using an iMovie title you can create your text, using the Preview app, on the transparency screen that you created in the above procedure. Click on Tools/Annotate/Text and just type in your text. Then save and drag into iMovie, using it as a cutaway as before, and adjusting the opacity.

I hope the above is clear.

-- Rich

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2018 3:49 AM in response to pullattr

Hi,

In iMovie 10 there is no feature that varies the opacity of a title.

You can do it with a workaround, although it involves a little work. First open a new project. Then open with the Preview app a duplicate of any random photo. Do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Delete. That leaves you with a gray screen that is a transparency. Save that to your desktop. Drag it into the new project that you created. It will look like a black clip. Add your title to the clip. Share out the project. It will appear on your desktop as a movie. Drag the shared out movie into your old project. Place it above the clip in the timeline that you want to add the title to. Select the title clip that you placed above, and click on the Overlay icon (the one that looks like overlapping squares) in the tool bar in the upper right of your screen. In the selection box, choose Cutaway. You will see an opacity slider to the right. Slide it to adjust the opacity of your title.

There is an alternative way. Instead of using an iMovie title you can create your text, using the Preview app, on the transparency screen that you created in the above procedure. Click on Tools/Annotate/Text and just type in your text. Then save and drag into iMovie, using it as a cutaway as before, and adjusting the opacity.

I hope the above is clear.

-- Rich

Sep 3, 2018 7:52 AM in response to pullattr

Open the event and Control-click on the clip you want to delete. A drop down menu will give you the option to delete it from the event. However, that deletes it only from the event. The clip still remains in the library. To delete it from the library you must either delete the entire event itself or select the clip and do a File/Reveal in Finder and delete the clip from the Original Media folder that pops up. (The selected clip will be highlighted.) Be aware that if you delete a clip from the library you delete it from the iMovie system and from all projects that are referencing that clip, thus disabling those projects.

-- Rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.