Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create playlist in Apple Music requires icloud music library?

I just paid for 1 year of Apple Music.

When I try to create a playlist, I am prompted to enable iCloud Music Library.

When I do this, it messes up all my playlists of my iTunes Music (music I own).

I recover by turning off iCloud Music library and restoring my.itl file.

But now I cannot create playlists of Apple Music songs... because it requires iCloud Music Library to be enabled.

And I just paid $100 for this.

Any advice?

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 8:41 AM

1. This could potentially happen if iTunes sees tracks in your library as duplicates. See About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support for more. Duplicate tracks won't be actively removed from the library, but they will be excluded from cloud playlists and the iCloud Music Library.
  2. This should not have happened. Can they be restored from backup? See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a method to use in future if not.

See Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support and make a separate iCloud Music Library. You can then introduce copies of your own music into it as and when you want to. My main library has some 66,000 tracks while my cloud library has about 8,000 and is shared with my iPhone and iPad.

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2018 8:41 AM in response to juanpitillo

1. This could potentially happen if iTunes sees tracks in your library as duplicates. See About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support for more. Duplicate tracks won't be actively removed from the library, but they will be excluded from cloud playlists and the iCloud Music Library.
  2. This should not have happened. Can they be restored from backup? See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a method to use in future if not.

See Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support and make a separate iCloud Music Library. You can then introduce copies of your own music into it as and when you want to. My main library has some 66,000 tracks while my cloud library has about 8,000 and is shared with my iPhone and iPad.

tt2

Sep 3, 2018 6:37 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you Turing. I will give this a try.

I can't help but wonder if iCloud Music Library will mess up my playlists again. It feels wrong (and not Apple like) to pay money to then have to constantly monitor my iTunes playlists of my owned music.

Is there a way to create Apple Music playlists without iCloud Music Library?

Are playlists in Apple Music distinct from playlists created in iTunes?

Sep 3, 2018 6:46 AM in response to juanpitillo

iCloud Music Library is a feature of both iTunes Match and Apple Music. The idea is that playlists made on one device are available to all of your others, hence the need to monitor and match/upload your existing media, and enable iCloud Music Library before creating playlists with Apple Music items.

What does "mess up my playlists" consist of?

tt2

Sep 3, 2018 7:40 AM in response to turingtest2

In my case, "Mess up my playlists" means

1 - Tracks disappear from playlists. A playlist with 40 tracks, will end up with just 10 tracks after iCloud Music Library gets enabled. This occurs across the board. I replicated this error.

2 - Tracks disappear completely. We know of 2 tracks that just disappeared. The file was gone as well. There is no reason to think there aren't any more. We have tons of music. I have not tried to replicate this error.

We're not interested in mixing streaming service tracks-and-playlists with owned tracks-and-playlists. That feels too complicated for us to manage. We manually sync our owned playlists/tracks via iTunes.

It almost feels like we're at a disadvantage because we have a lot of classical music, and have used iTunes for our music library since the first iPod came out.

The options I see if I want a streaming service are:

1 - Don't use iTunes for personal/owned music.

2 - Use a different streaming service until this gets figured out.

Sep 3, 2018 8:45 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for this information. I really appreciate it!

1 - I was not aware of these status icons... they can prove helpful,

2 - I recovered the lost tracks from backups when we discovered the issue (btw... we have a Mac... this is has been an Apple household for decades).

The idea of keeping separate libraries for iCloud vs iTunes is interesting.

Can playlists from different libraries be simultaneously synched to one device?

Create playlist in Apple Music requires icloud music library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.