Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay 2 Audio latency adjustment?

I have just updated my routers firmware and now use Airport express units to add multi room audio to my home but i cant find where to adjust the Audio delay correction and i'm worried that there is none.

As an example i used to use Chromecast Audio's and each one would have adjustment to allow for delays to account for different device latency. Have Apple really forgot to add something so simple to Airplay 2 that every other multi room audio device has the capability to do to correct this!

iPhone X, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2018 2:22 PM

I have done a bit more searching online and this effects more than just some. The only people it don't seem to be affecting is users who are using the homepods in multi room situations so it seems this update has only helped Apple in being Able to sell more homepods.

The only way to fix it is to have an adjustment for latency which every other brand has. Most people who use multiroom systems like sonos, Echo, Chromecast audio, ATV, etc etc have the units connected to an amp, TV, Soundbars etc etc which all have a unique amount of delay. There is only one way to solve this and Apple have clearly missed it in the software. it's basically unusable as a multi room system because of the lack of this feature.

Looks like im going back to the Chromecast.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2018 2:22 PM in response to Tesserax

I have done a bit more searching online and this effects more than just some. The only people it don't seem to be affecting is users who are using the homepods in multi room situations so it seems this update has only helped Apple in being Able to sell more homepods.

The only way to fix it is to have an adjustment for latency which every other brand has. Most people who use multiroom systems like sonos, Echo, Chromecast audio, ATV, etc etc have the units connected to an amp, TV, Soundbars etc etc which all have a unique amount of delay. There is only one way to solve this and Apple have clearly missed it in the software. it's basically unusable as a multi room system because of the lack of this feature.

Looks like im going back to the Chromecast.

Sep 3, 2018 8:46 AM in response to Barritia

I have just updated my routers firmware and now use Airport express units to add multi room audio to my home but i cant find where to adjust the Audio delay correction and i'm worried that there is none.

Although AirPlay 2 increased the streaming buffer size, it appears some folks are still experiencing delays. Unfortunately, like AirPlay "1," there is no option to adjust this. Other third-party apps, like Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil do.

Airplay 2 Audio latency adjustment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.