Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot write to any Fat32 drives

Any hard drive, USB, or memory card device that is formatted in Fat32 (which is most camera related ones) will not allow my Macbook 2012 (High Sierra) write. I can read and copy files fine. Can't add or even delete (which is "fun" for overfull memory cards, let me tell you.)

Now I'm trying to transfer some GoPro update onto the card and it's driving me nuts. Worse I keep reading on all kinds of support threads that Mac OS is indeed supposed to read and write to fat32. I have not had that pleasure since I bought this computer.

There has to be a fix other than reformatting every darn card to the Mac version of MSDOS Fat. I just can't always be expected to reformat ever drive I borrow or own. It's insane but I don't see any fix to why my system is haywire.

I would really appreciate a FIX to the ongoing problem and not a reformat workaround. Thank you!

(One side not here is, I bought this with a fresh version of Lion reinstalled to factory settings. Then I restored from my older computer via Time machine which had mountain lion I believe. It could have been Snow leopard but I don't think so. I've always wondered if some drivers or library files were overwritten that were required for this 2012 laptop but you'd think that all the many OS updates and the app store updates would have noticed and fixed the problem. Also, isn't that how Time Machine is supposed to work?)

Posted on Sep 4, 2018 9:29 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 4, 2018 10:02 PM in response to EruchWriter

EruchWriter wrote:

Any hard drive, USB, or memory card device that is formatted in Fat32 (which is most camera related ones) will not allow my Macbook 2012 (High Sierra) write. I can read and copy files fine.

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys.

4. Turn on the computer.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Cannot write to any Fat32 drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.