📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom Label option now gone on new update 11.4.1

My phone automatically updated itself to IOS 11.4.1 and now I don't have a the custom label option anymore when inputting a phone number into contacts. is there a way to get the "Custom Label" feature back onto my contacts? Seems like it should be a simple fix. I held out for so long not to update as all the features I usually love get changed. this is just another example of it.

thanks,

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Sep 6, 2018 10:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2018 10:35 AM

Not to nitpick, but the OP asked about adding custom labels to phone numbers and also claimed that the ability to add custom labels was there before the update.

However, I could be misreading the question. It won’t be the first time.

14 replies

Sep 6, 2018 10:29 AM in response to Thebexstir

Whether or not the custom label option is available has nothing to do with iOS 11.4.1. It has to do with the type of account you're syncing your contacts to. Some services, notably Exchange, don't allow custom labels. iCloud does, Gmail does. If you're not seeing them, check what type of account you have set in Settings>Contacts>Default Account.

I still have custom labels in iOS 11.4.1. My default account is Gmail.

Sep 6, 2018 11:25 AM in response to Demo

Not nitpicky at all. I did read what you read. One of the things I've observed about iOS updates is that sometimes settings get changed. It always seems random to me but it might not be. This could be one of those cases. Or, it could be something else. The fact that the option is not gone for everyone with iOS 11.4.1 indicates that it may be something specific to the OP's set up.

And, yes, what type of account your syncing your contacts with does affect whether or not you can use custom labels for phone numbers. Back in the day when you had to set up Gmail as an Exchange account to get certain features, you couldn't use custom phone labels. Now that it's not set up that, they are an option.

Sep 8, 2018 3:15 PM in response to Demo

You are correct. "Add custom labels" was there before the update. My default account has always been gmail so not sure if that is is. I looked up other "contacts" in my phone that I had custom labels for that were entered before the update and they still exist. Not sure if that helps find a solution. thank you for trying to assist.

Sep 9, 2018 2:36 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hmm, you may be on to something....I have (3) other accounts on my phone. My yahoo account and my current work account in addition to my gmail account. the odd thing is these accounts were on my phone prior to the auto update my phone conducted without my permission. The custom label option was also available with these 3 accounts prior to the update. I don't think I was asked to set up a profile. I'm not really sure what that means. Can I acquire the custom label option from gmail.com somehow?

thank you for the response.

Custom Label option now gone on new update 11.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.