Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I decline an incoming call on my iPhone iOS8?

When I get an unwanted incoming call on my iPhone iOS8, there is no decline button like on my iWatch screen. I don't want the calls going to voicemail either, because they are usually spam. I just want to decline the calls. How can I do this w/o a decline button on my iPhone's screen? Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanx! -KD

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Sep 8, 2018 11:47 AM

10 replies

Sep 8, 2018 12:17 PM in response to KDdid

Hello,

Decline a call and send it directly to voicemail. You can:

• Press the side button or Sleep/Wake button (depending on your model) twice quickly.
  • Press and hold the center button on your headset until two low beeps confirm that the call was declined.
  • Tap Decline (if iPhone is awake when the call comes in).

Note: In some areas, declined calls are disconnected without being sent to voicemail.

When someone calls - iPhone User Guide

Sep 8, 2018 1:09 PM in response to Gus

Gus wrote:

Hello,

Decline a call and send it directly to voicemail. You can:

• Press the side button or Sleep/Wake button (depending on your model) twice quickly.
  • Press and hold the center button on your headset until two low beeps confirm that the call was declined.
  • Tap Decline (if iPhone is awake when the call comes in).

Note: In some areas, declined calls are disconnected without being sent to voicemail.

When someone calls - iPhone User Guide

Why did I even waste my time posting this? If you read the post carefully, you will see that it says, "I DO NOT want the call going to Voicemail," and "I DO NOT have a "Decline," button. Thank you!

Sep 8, 2018 1:30 PM in response to KDdid

If your phone is unlocked, the home screen visible, when an incoming call is received, you should see these at the bottom of the screen.

User uploaded file

If the phone is locked and the screen is dark, you will see the Slide to Answer.

There is no app for spam calls, and even call blocking doesn't work, since most spammers spoof numbers. Some cellular carrier provide a service, but those come with a cost. You can provide feedback to Apple about this app if desired here, https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Sep 8, 2018 2:46 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

If your phone is unlocked, the home screen visible, when an incoming call is received, you should see these at the bottom of the screen.

User uploaded file

If the phone is locked and the screen is dark, you will see the Slide to Answer.

There is no app for spam calls, and even call blocking doesn't work, since most spammers spoof numbers. Some cellular carrier provide a service, but those come with a cost. You can provide feedback to Apple about this app if desired here, https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I'm aware that there is no app for spam calls and I know that call blocking doesn't work. That's the reason for my op. And that's why I said, "There needs to be . . ."

Sep 8, 2018 4:38 PM in response to KDdid

I'm sorry, but you are yelling at the wrong group here. The ability to block spam calls is not unique to the iPhone. You can provide feedback to Apple if you wish, https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html to let them know you would like to see a change. However, given the ability that the people doing these calls have now to spoof numbers, block numbers, etc., it is going to be hard to change.

Sep 8, 2018 1:12 PM in response to KDdid

When you decline a call, it is automatically sent to voicemail, whether you intend it to or not, unless as indicated in the information provided, in some areas they are disconnected without sending to voicemail. No button will decline a call and not send it to voicemail if your carrier has the option.

You will only see the Decline button on the phone if the phone is unlocked.

Sep 8, 2018 1:21 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

When you decline a call, it is automatically sent to voicemail, whether you intend it to or not, unless as indicated in the information provided, in some areas they are disconnected without sending to voicemail. No button will decline a call and not send it to voicemail if your carrier has the option.

You will only see the Decline button on the phone if the phone is unlocked.

My phone is ALWAYS unlocked and I have yet to see a "Decline," button on there. The calls are ALL missed spam calls and very seldom will they leave a message. There needs to be an app that will decline harassment calls automatically.

Sep 8, 2018 7:10 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Was not yelling, I was merely stressing to point out that I had already said that before. If I had yelled it would been in UPPERCASE letters. It doesn't matter how much feedback is given to Apple, they hardly ever please their customers. So, the link is basically useless. There was no real solution to my question, but I thank you for your efforts. -KD

How do I decline an incoming call on my iPhone iOS8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.