Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule back up tip

Recently had issues not being able to back up to our ATC. We have an AT&T router/modem and use the ATC as the connection/wifi extender. I disabled the wifi broadcast on the AT&T router. I initially set up the ATC in "Bridge Mode" and didn't initially have issues backing up to the ATC. We also have a MacBook Air, it was never able to back up. After a brief conversation with Apple Care, the issue was remedied. Bottom line, make sure your router mode and IP/LAN look like this...

User uploaded file

IP address xx.xxx.xx.xx

LAN IP address 10.0.1.x

Originally, my IP and LAN were the same, because of being in Bridge Mode; and this is why I couldn't back up to the ATC.

Hope this helps!

AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 9, 2018 2:53 PM

3 replies

Sep 9, 2018 3:29 PM in response to skydiveboom1975

This has been Apple's answer of late to issues caused by poor network performance of High Sierra.

You will find an error on the front summary page.. double NAT. Apple tell you to ignore it..

The Guru's here.. including myself.. will tell you that is very poor advice.. you fix one problem by creating an even bigger one. You will eventually discover web sites that don't load.. load slowly and won't complete. All interactive stuff will stop working..

If you want this fixed.. we have better albeit more complicated solutions.

Nov 25, 2018 2:27 AM in response to skydiveboom1975

For lots of things double NAT is fine.. and when I am testing routers I am constantly using double NAT.. but on anything but testing it is to be avoided.

1. The primary issue is the IP address is not stable on the Time Capsule (I will use TC=ATC)

So set this statically. I recommend you do it on your main router via dhcp reservation but you can also very simply do it by changing over from DHCP to Static on the Internet tab of the TC.. Or even do it on both..

2. Domain is important. If your computer is getting a strange search domain via the main router, then it will be unable to find the TC when it wants to backup. Sometimes you can reset this in DHCP for LAN on your AT&T router.

Sometimes you will have to fix it manually on the computer.

3. Apple depends on IPv6 being set correctly. Unless you are running your whole network on IPv6 the easiest solution is set both the TC and the computer to link-local only. Auto is the wrong setting here.

4. Do not use APPLE RECOMMENDED NAMES. Since Apple moved to SMB as the main protocol for network way way back but much more seriously in Sierra and High Sierra. They never fixed the naming recommendation from AFP which was the older Apple default protocol.

So keep names for everything short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics less than 16 characters.. bonus brownie points for <10. Passwords use the same rules but can be longer.

5. With your MacBook Air issue.. you can mount the TC in Finder first by IP instead of by name.

And since Apple MUST use AFP protocol to the TC I think you will have to use AFP.

Go, Connect to Server.

AFP://TCIPAddress (where you replace TCIPAddress with the actual IP now static on the TC)

But there is another method entirely. More coming.

Airport Time Capsule back up tip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.