Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove previous owner iCloud account when they are not available?

Old model iPhone that I was given but I can't find the previous owner to unlock. Is there any way for me to set this up on my iTunes account for my daughter (15 months old) for games and stuff?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1

Posted on Sep 11, 2018 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2018 8:13 AM

The previous owner is no one I know and have no way of getting the iCloud information from or able to have them ‘remove’ the device from their cloud. i don’t know them. And no one I know knows them either.

Are there steps to follow in a case like this?

2 replies

Sep 12, 2018 7:12 AM in response to Keeshagurl

Greetings, Keeshagurl.

I see that you've found someone else's Apple ID installed on your iPhone 4s. I'm happy to help.

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock

Ask the previous owner for help

If the device is linked to a previous owner's account and they're close by, ask them to enter their Apple ID and password on the Activation Lock screen and remove the device from their account.

If you see the passcode screen and the device isn't erased, ask the previous owner to unlock the device and go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. They'll need to enter their Apple ID and password.

If the previous owner isn't with you

If the previous owner isn't present, contact them and ask them to follow these steps:

1. Sign in to iCloud.com with their Apple ID.
  2. Go to Find My iPhone.
  3. Click All Devices at the top of the screen.
  4. Select the device that you want to remove from iCloud.
  5. If necessary, click Erase [device].
  6. Click Remove from Account.

After the previous owner removes the device from their account, turn off the device and then turn it back on to begin the setup process.

Take care!

How do I remove previous owner iCloud account when they are not available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.