Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shutting down of airport time capsule

Hi, my airport time capsule is placed in my bedroom. Usually I will switch off all electronics before I sleep. Therefore, is it ok to power off the capsule on a daily basis? My concern is the hard disk’s may die out earlier due to daily shutdown. Comments? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 12, 2018 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2018 3:39 PM

One school of thought holds that electronic products will last longer when they are not powered off and back on continuously because this places additional stress on the power supply and electrical components.

Another school holds that continuous power off and on cycles do not affect the life of the electronics at all, and that a product will last longer if it is not used continually.

Good arguments can be made for both schools, so you will have to choose which school that you want to attend.

As far as the Time Capsule is concerned, Apple may have likely provided a clue for you as to which school that they attend. In other words, since there is no "on" or "off" switch on the Time Capsule at all, it is pretty clear that Apple has designed the Time Capsule to be "always on".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2018 3:39 PM in response to alonewitheverybody

One school of thought holds that electronic products will last longer when they are not powered off and back on continuously because this places additional stress on the power supply and electrical components.

Another school holds that continuous power off and on cycles do not affect the life of the electronics at all, and that a product will last longer if it is not used continually.

Good arguments can be made for both schools, so you will have to choose which school that you want to attend.

As far as the Time Capsule is concerned, Apple may have likely provided a clue for you as to which school that they attend. In other words, since there is no "on" or "off" switch on the Time Capsule at all, it is pretty clear that Apple has designed the Time Capsule to be "always on".

Shutting down of airport time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.