Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

terminal - how to find my external hard drive using unix commands

just discovered terminal and using cd and ls commands, which are the only commands i know, i realized that i can't find my external hard drive. i thought it would be listed on my desktop, as it is in the OSX interface, but it isn't there.

not that im skilled enough to use terminal yet, but i thought the first step would be being able to navigate the computer's files.

really curious as to where my external hard drive is and how i can find it using unix commands in terminal.

i was trying to figure it out myself, then i thought surely someone knows this and could tell me in a sec.

thanks.

ibook Mac OS X (10.4.4)

ibook Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Feb 13, 2007 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2007 3:50 AM

External storage devices are mounted under /Volumes so if you

cd /Volumes

and/or

ls -l /Volumes

you will see your external hard drive there.
5 replies

Feb 13, 2007 7:02 AM in response to houden

"ls /Volumes" will list all volumes, including internal and external hard drives and mounted disk images. I find "disktool -l" more useful in scripts, as it tells you which volume names correspond to which "mount points" under /Volumes. Usually they're the same, but if you have two volumes with the same name, or you try to remount a removable volume before it is fully unmounted, you'll end up with a mount point that consists of the volume name with a numerical suffix.

terminal - how to find my external hard drive using unix commands

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.