Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no audio output for software instruments

I've recorded a couple of patches from the built in software instruments in GB and although I hear the sound of the instruments I've recorded when I'm recording a new track, there's no sound when I hit play.

I've double checked that my output settings are right and no track is solo'd or muted and I'm stumped.

Any help would be much appreciated:

User uploaded file

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 3:55 PM

macpatty2 wrote:

I hear the sound of the instruments I've recorded when I'm recording a new track, there's no sound when I hit play.

in the screen shot you posted, it appears that you have just played one note from the very start of the timeline.

if you play the note before bar one (before the start of the region), the note won't be able to play back

to see if this is the issue, press the record button and wait a beat before you play, or play multiple notes. if this is the case you'll just need to work on your timing so you don't play a note before the region begins

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2018 3:55 PM in response to macpatty2

macpatty2 wrote:

I hear the sound of the instruments I've recorded when I'm recording a new track, there's no sound when I hit play.

in the screen shot you posted, it appears that you have just played one note from the very start of the timeline.

if you play the note before bar one (before the start of the region), the note won't be able to play back

to see if this is the issue, press the record button and wait a beat before you play, or play multiple notes. if this is the case you'll just need to work on your timing so you don't play a note before the region begins

Sep 17, 2018 9:14 AM in response to macpatty2

macpatty2 wrote:

Thanks! That solved it.

glad to hear it

macpatty2 wrote:

Any idea why that's set up that way?

if you think about it, it makes sense...

when you press a key to send MIDI information to GB you're sending: what note to play, how long, how hard, etc. all that info is sent at the beginning, so if that's not recorded (within the region), there's nothing for GB to interpret as a note.

this is fixable, btw. if you open the editor pane you can drag the note in the region to the right so that it begins within the region.

no audio output for software instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.