Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Update 11.4.1 vs. 10.3.3 Battery Life

I have a:

5s

SE

6s

Which of these would be OK to update to iOS 11.4.1?

I have not heard good things about battery life.

(I did hear though, that these negative reviews may have resulted from "relearning" voltage by the software soon after a user's update.)

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.3.3, 128GB, Samsung batt. (2 batt exist)

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2018 6:37 AM

I upgraded because I felt the risk of waiting and only having iOS 12 as an option to upgrade for another year was too high.

I will let you all know about battery life as the software will take time to relearn voltages and voltage use for battery percentage approximations.

Especially, Maps and other map apps are critical to update because of carrier stuff. iOS updates are ultimately the only way to do this once you have updated the apps as far as the OS will allow.

Carrier stuff and the ability to connect to 3G, 4G LTE can sometimes be hindered by not updating iOS.

It looks like you all still have an option to upgrade to 11.4.1, for the time being.

Check this webpage to know if you can still load 11.4.1 manually using a computer and iTunes. You can download 11.4.1 manually from this website and load the OS manually, even if iTunes or your iDevice will soon only give you an option to download iOS 12. (search "Manually load iOS 11.4.1 onto iPhone/iPod/iPad" in Google or other desired search engine)

I did this same thing last year and upgraded all my devices from 9.3.5 and also 8 all the way to 10.3.3 during the last week that Apple would sign 10.3.3, the last iOS 10 update released, right when iOS 11 was first being released, using the same website linked below.

10.3.3 has been working well for a year now, but the only real caveat is that you have to click out and avoid upgrading consistently long-term every time Apple gives you a prompt asking you if you want to upgrade your OS.

This will stop working eventually because of electronic Apple certificates.

https://ipsw.me/#!/

If any of you have been waiting to upgrade to High Sierra, which you need in order to download iOS 11 for the purposes mentioned above, you can use the process and links below to make a virtual machine to run High Sierra on your Mac especially if you do not want to upgrade your entire system just yet.

I used Parallels to do this.

Make bootable High Sierra ISO: https://tylermade.net/2017/10/05/how-to-create-a-bootable-iso-image-of-macos-10- 13-high-sierra-installer/ (you only need to do the first three commands, and then just rename the Install High Sierra.app to Install High Sierra.iso)

When Parallels is booted, select "File", "New," and "Install Windows or other OS from a DVD or image file". "Continue." "Choose manually". Drag and drop the ISO file, located on the desktop, that you just made into Parallels. "Continue." And you're ready to go.

VMware should also work just fine. Follow the steps I mentioned for making an ISO and then lookup on Google how to manually load OS image files into VMware.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2018 6:37 AM in response to troubleshootdifferent

I upgraded because I felt the risk of waiting and only having iOS 12 as an option to upgrade for another year was too high.

I will let you all know about battery life as the software will take time to relearn voltages and voltage use for battery percentage approximations.

Especially, Maps and other map apps are critical to update because of carrier stuff. iOS updates are ultimately the only way to do this once you have updated the apps as far as the OS will allow.

Carrier stuff and the ability to connect to 3G, 4G LTE can sometimes be hindered by not updating iOS.

It looks like you all still have an option to upgrade to 11.4.1, for the time being.

Check this webpage to know if you can still load 11.4.1 manually using a computer and iTunes. You can download 11.4.1 manually from this website and load the OS manually, even if iTunes or your iDevice will soon only give you an option to download iOS 12. (search "Manually load iOS 11.4.1 onto iPhone/iPod/iPad" in Google or other desired search engine)

I did this same thing last year and upgraded all my devices from 9.3.5 and also 8 all the way to 10.3.3 during the last week that Apple would sign 10.3.3, the last iOS 10 update released, right when iOS 11 was first being released, using the same website linked below.

10.3.3 has been working well for a year now, but the only real caveat is that you have to click out and avoid upgrading consistently long-term every time Apple gives you a prompt asking you if you want to upgrade your OS.

This will stop working eventually because of electronic Apple certificates.

https://ipsw.me/#!/

If any of you have been waiting to upgrade to High Sierra, which you need in order to download iOS 11 for the purposes mentioned above, you can use the process and links below to make a virtual machine to run High Sierra on your Mac especially if you do not want to upgrade your entire system just yet.

I used Parallels to do this.

Make bootable High Sierra ISO: https://tylermade.net/2017/10/05/how-to-create-a-bootable-iso-image-of-macos-10- 13-high-sierra-installer/ (you only need to do the first three commands, and then just rename the Install High Sierra.app to Install High Sierra.iso)

When Parallels is booted, select "File", "New," and "Install Windows or other OS from a DVD or image file". "Continue." "Choose manually". Drag and drop the ISO file, located on the desktop, that you just made into Parallels. "Continue." And you're ready to go.

VMware should also work just fine. Follow the steps I mentioned for making an ISO and then lookup on Google how to manually load OS image files into VMware.

iOS Update 11.4.1 vs. 10.3.3 Battery Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.