Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java plug-in no longer in Safari 12.0

After seeing an update for Safari today, I noted that it contained security updates, so I upgraded. After upgrading, however, I could no longer launch a Java applet for remote desktop access that I've used for years. The upgrade put Safari at version 12.0 (13606.2.11). There no longer is a Java plug-in under the list of available plug-ins that can be enabled/disabled for individual web sites. Specifically, it used to look like this:

User uploaded file

Now I now longer see Java in the list of plug-ins at the lower left. I re-installed JRE 8 Update 181 from Oracle to no avail. How are we supposed to run Java applets/applications from Safari in version 12.0 and later? My MacOS is Version 10.13.6 (17G65).

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 17, 2018 1:34 PM

14 replies

Sep 18, 2018 8:57 AM in response to Eric Root

After reading more (see How to Use Java, Silverlight, and Other Plugins in Modern Browsers and https://jaxenter.com/clock-ticking-java-browser-plugin-will-deprecated-soon-1315 46.html), Safari has been one of the longest browsers to support the NPAPI Java plug-in. That support seems to have ended with Safari 11. There are some alternatives according to the jaxenter.com article, but they require modifying the Java application.

Nov 2, 2018 8:25 AM in response to new maria

I hope this is not too late, but I too depend on a Java plugin to connect to work. I found in another article that using "SeaMonkey" from the Mozilla group did the trick! https://www.seamonkey-project.org

It includes an email, newsgroup, and feed client too but I only use it as a browser for my Java-Plugin required applications. Now I am back online and saving Safari and all those other browsers I tried (with no avail) for other uses.

Hope it works for you -- I am recommending it to all my cohorts who telecommute with Macs to try it out.

Sep 23, 2018 1:32 PM in response to JMCanning

I'm having the same problem with 5 different Macs within the family (iMac, 2 new MacBook Pros, 1 old MacBook Pro, and 1 old MacBook Air). The use a program that requires Java plugin support and now I can't use it after the upgrade to Safari 12.0. I tried everything and was finally able to wipe an old 2013 MacBook my kid used before she got her new Mac this year. It came back with Safari 10.12 after the install which allowed me to use the Java plugin. Unfortunately, I can't do that easily for the rest of my computers because the shipload of software and documents. Now the only device I can run Java on is old and heavy MacBook. I used the new MacBook or MacBook Air when I travel but now I can't do that. I have to carry that old computer just to use 1 program?

Apple has been controlling and now they are getting more and more controlling. If Java is NOT safe then a user should be able to use it on their own risk. All Apple has to do is give the warning!

This has to change.

Oct 8, 2018 12:55 PM in response to Eric Root

I am having the same problem. I was using Safari to access a remote desktop - which requires the Java plug-in.

Now I am blocked out and have no way of backing up or reinstalling the old Safari to enable this remote access. Does anyone know how to do that? And have a copy of the old safari? Until this is fixed I am locked out.

help is appreciated.

Java plug-in no longer in Safari 12.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.