Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: What is Screen Time passcode in iOS 12?

I just upgraded to ios12. Screen Time was enabled by default. I want to turn it off. It demands a pass code. Obviously, I never set a pass code for Screen Time, since it didn't exist prior to the upgrade.

1) Restrictions, aka Parental controls, was not on when I upgraded. It's possible I messed around with it in the distant past and set a pass code at some point.

2) My screen lock pass code is 6 digits, while the Screen Time pass code is 4 digits, so the ST pc default is not the same as the screen lock pc.

3) I have tried several obvious (to me) pass codes, including 0000. Nothing works. I am now up to a 5 minute wait between tries.

[Insert nasty comments about Apple here]

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

The Screen Time passcode is the Restriction Pass code from previous version of iOS per this article: https://appletoolbox.com/2018/08/reset-the-screen-time-passcode-on-ios-12/

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 17, 2018 7:48 PM in response to Joe Sixpack In response to Joe Sixpack

Restrictions passcode and now screen time pass codes, are stored in backups and will return on a restore.

Setting up as new is the only resolution.

See >>> Use Screen Time to prevent purchasing on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Sep 17, 2018 8:18 PM in response to Joe Sixpack In response to Joe Sixpack

Wow, HUGE bug of iOS 12. I never setup screen time, yet it is enabled and with a password... If completely deleting my device and starting from square one... that better not be the answer. Also, what does that mean for my iPad, do I have to do the same with that one, which also expects a password I never created?

Sep 20, 2018 2:45 AM in response to anthonyfromjaen In response to anthonyfromjaen

For those who are still struggling with this, and who don't want to restart their phone from new, I've figured out a method identify what your restrictions passcode is.

You can use https://pinfinder.net/ to look at your phone backup to identify the restrictions password. Unfortunately, it only works on iOS11 backups, so if you don't have that on your system, you will first need to downgrade your device (back to iOS 11), then make a backup, and run pinfinder on that backup.

To locate your backups, follow the instructions at Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support.

In order to downgrade your device back to the previous iOS, follow the instructions at https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-12/.

It's a bit of a workaround but it will do the trick.

Sep 17, 2018 7:47 PM in response to askbarnabas In response to askbarnabas

Fortunately, my latest guess,1111, was the correct pass code. I doubt that is an Apple default. Maybe it was inherited from messing around with Restrictions long ago (which I don't remember doing) or from General > Accessibility > Guided Access which was on and also has a four digit pass code. If that's the case, then really dumb move on Apple's part to use settings from a different feature to determine whether Screen Time is on and what its pass code is.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 17, 2018 7:15 PM in response to Joe Sixpack In response to Joe Sixpack

And?

This passcode is separate to a lock screen passcode. One can be 6 digit while the other is 4.

My screen time was not enabled by default. I overtly enabled it, and disabled it, in settings using the dialogs seen above.

Sorry your experience was different,

Sep 17, 2018 7:15 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 17, 2018 7:48 PM in response to Joe Sixpack In response to Joe Sixpack

Restrictions passcode and now screen time pass codes, are stored in backups and will return on a restore.

Setting up as new is the only resolution.

See >>> Use Screen Time to prevent purchasing on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Sep 17, 2018 7:48 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 17, 2018 7:47 PM in response to askbarnabas In response to askbarnabas

Fortunately, my latest guess,1111, was the correct pass code. I doubt that is an Apple default. Maybe it was inherited from messing around with Restrictions long ago (which I don't remember doing) or from General > Accessibility > Guided Access which was on and also has a four digit pass code. If that's the case, then really dumb move on Apple's part to use settings from a different feature to determine whether Screen Time is on and what its pass code is.

Sep 17, 2018 7:47 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Sep 17, 2018 8:18 PM in response to Joe Sixpack In response to Joe Sixpack

Wow, HUGE bug of iOS 12. I never setup screen time, yet it is enabled and with a password... If completely deleting my device and starting from square one... that better not be the answer. Also, what does that mean for my iPad, do I have to do the same with that one, which also expects a password I never created?

Sep 17, 2018 8:18 PM

Reply Helpful (15)

Sep 17, 2018 9:54 PM in response to ctorstens In response to ctorstens

It's not a bug. If you ever had a passcode for Restrictions then that passcode is now your Screen Time passcode. Many people don't remember setting a Restrictions passcode especially if they were just playing around with what options the Restrictions had and then never went into them again.

Regarding your iPad, go into the Restrictions and make sure there isn't a passcode. If there isn't, then you shouldn't have any problems upgrading to iOS 12 on the iPad and there won't be a passcode for Screen Time.

Sep 17, 2018 9:54 PM

Reply Helpful

Sep 17, 2018 10:50 PM in response to Joe Sixpack In response to Joe Sixpack

I experienced the same issue. The Screen Time Passcode was enabled after iOS 12 upgrade without being asked.

I recalled that have setup a separate 4 characters Restriction Passcode in the past.

The Screen Time Passcode is the same as the previously setup separate 4 characters Restriction Passcode. It works in my case.

Seriously, Apple should have explained it in a better manner.

Sep 17, 2018 10:50 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Sep 17, 2018 10:58 PM in response to Joe Sixpack In response to Joe Sixpack

I also have an iPhone 6s. Have you tried calling Apple Support directly for a tech support technician? I get through using #800-676-2775 or 800-692-7753 Also go to Settings and type in the search bar Control on Lock Screen.

Sep 17, 2018 10:58 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Joe Sixpack

Question: What is Screen Time passcode in iOS 12?