Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Interchangeability of Watch bands ?

Do Series 1 thru 3 - 42mm bands fit on to a Series 4 watch, and does a Series 4 - 44mm band fit onto previous Series ?

On the Apple sales web site that point does no seem to be made clear, as it says there ---

"Shop straps from previous seasons.

Each strap works with all versions of Apple Watch."

User uploaded file

Apple Watch, null

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 3:45 AM

7 replies

Sep 19, 2018 9:18 AM in response to Dan Mitchell1

From Apple themselves (44mm Lavender Gray Sport Band - S/M & M/L - Apple):

Band Compatibility

You can match this band with any Apple Watch Series 4 case of the same size. It also works with all previous versions of Apple Watch, including Apple Watch Series 3. The 40mm band works with the 38mm case; the 44mm band works with the 42mm case.

All bands are interchangeable between similarly sized watches.

Sep 18, 2018 4:49 AM in response to joshhighet

Well yes it did - but this a.m. I asked an Apple chat support person the same question and got as answer --

(exact quote)

"It does look like due to the size of the watch being specific to the band that attaches to them, they are unable to be interchangeable at this time."

So if the new watch is 2 mm wider (38 to 40mm, and 42 to44mm), does-it or doesn't-it matter, hence my OP.

Sep 19, 2018 1:40 PM in response to deggie

Re: deggie --

Obviously not; it would be illogical to expect a V.P. to participate in a Chat link with a mere customer, but of course not impossible. So, not yet having seen any videos of the release event, I have only the word of a humble Chat assistant on which to depend, and so as soon as I get to an Apple Shop I will effect a personal check.

In the meantime I ask for someone with both sizes of Watch (e.g. a new 44mm and an old 42mm) to say if either size of band is a precise fit on either Watch, with no overhang or underhang - I accept they will physically fit, but do they visually fit; is the fit aesthetically pleasing ?

As a restorer of mechanical watches I can fit a 16mm band on to lugs which really need an 18mm band - it will fit, but will look wrong, it will not be aesthetically pleasing.

DM

Sep 19, 2018 1:51 PM in response to joshhighet

Do let us know, please - I will not get to an Apple Shop until early October.

If the entire Watch 4 is 2mm wider, (or is it just longer), how have they achieved compatibility ? Are the top/bottom band keyways on both 42 and 44mm the same length, thus, as you suggest, all bands fit and also it looks OK.

Oh, and are there any differences in the widths of the actual material of a 42 and 44mm band. I don't think a V.P. at the reveal has divulged that level of detail.

Interchangeability of Watch bands ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.