Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy a Contact

In the Contacts app, is it possible to copy a single contact, so I can simply edit a few fields with a new name?

Example: I create a new contact and enter data for several fields, including company name. If I have another contact at the same company, then they share a lot of data, such as the company name, URL, main phone #, address, etc. It would be more efficient to copy an existing contact, then edit that copy, then to create a new contact from scratch.

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 8:23 AM

2 replies

Sep 23, 2018 2:56 PM in response to jodyfrombethesda

Yes you can. You can drag a contact out to the desktop and then drag it back, and then respond to how you want to reimport it, whether you want to update your existing contact or add a new one.

As suggested, get informed about what system you are running.

Go to the computer's upper left hand screen corner and select the Apple logo (whose color may vary by system from the image below), and select the first item, which should say About This Mac or About This computer.

User uploaded file

That will tell you what system you have. Knowing that, you can pick the relevant forum from this post:

http://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2463

Note, iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touch use iOS system, and it is best to post in the device forum your question.

Identify your iPad model - Apple Support

Identify your iPhone model - Apple Support

Contacts is managed differently under iOS. To edit a contact in iOS follow these directions:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-206855/

Verizon has one of the easier to understand directions, though I don't use them as a carrier.

Copy a Contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.