Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use siri short cuts

i am confused about this feature

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 7:11 PM

4 replies

Oct 13, 2018 11:33 PM in response to Alancito

Oh! I had no idea links were allowed.

Well, here goes.

and.. the PSA (Public Service Announcement) on what Shortcuts does not support is available here.

There's probably heaps more but hey, let's get started with this.

Oct 12, 2018 10:53 PM in response to sanjeewafrommoratuwa

It's understandable. There are quite a few things that are called Shortcuts nowadays, and they're not the same.

1. There is a new app on the App Store called Shortcuts. You need to download it from the App Store to your iOS 12 running device, and then run it.

2. When you use Siri a great deal, she will suggest specific shortcuts - to things you often do such as "set an alarm for 8am". These donated (SiriSuggested) hooks / functions can be used within shortcuts made with Shortcuts, but they can also be called from the Spotlight search, or even spoken to, if you like telling Siri what to do.

When you use the Shortcuts app, you can access a list of functions (objects) that you can use to create a Shortcuts script, which you can then run via Siri Voice command, from the Today Widget (for Shortcuts), or even add to your Home Screen as icons.

And Apple introduced this whole thing as "Siri Shortcuts" and that's quite confusing. So there's people going: "Nah I don't wanna use Siri Shortcuts - I don't like using Siri anyway, so why should I use the Shortcuts app?" fully ignoring the "home screen icon" and "widget button" features. I use all Shortcuts I make with just the widget, so I just press buttons to start specific shortcuts running.

So I would recommend installing the Shortcuts app and see what is there, especially check through the gallery.

There are numerous website that have custom user-made shortcuts available for download, and multiple forums. I was shocked to see that the Apple Discussions forum does not have a place to talk about Shortcuts. It's kind of unimaginable, to be honest. This is a gigantic cool new feature that's gonna really take off when people realise how powerful (and, really, easy to use) it is. Hopefully this will happen soon.

how to use siri short cuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.