Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music doesn't play explicit songs

I have the restrictions turned off completely, and yet Apple Music doesn't play songs with explicit content, doesn't let me add them to library etc. I have iOS12 installed recently.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2018 8:32 AM

Go to iTunes Store and try to buy any explicit song there. There will be a pop-up asking for your permission to play explicit songs. Hit "Allow" and cancel the purchase. Apple Music should play explicits now.

30 replies

Feb 10, 2019 6:06 AM in response to Ccmer

Hi Ccmer,

My wife also have the exact same issue, but then she did these steps:

1. Restart your phone
  2. Close all recent apps (double click home button and swipe up), make sure no single app is running
  3. Open Settings >>> Screen Time >>> Turn OFF Screen Time
  4. Back to Home Screen, close all apps again
  5. Return to Settings >>> Screen Time >>> Turn ON Screen Time
  6. In Screen Time, choose: Content & Privacy Restrictions >>> Disable/Switch Off Content & Privacy Restrictions button at the very top
  7. Return to home screen, now open iTunes Store, switch to Music Store and preview any explicit music
  8. Choose ALLOW when the Pop Up asks you to allow Explicit Contents on your phone.

Dec 25, 2018 1:59 AM in response to irinafromякутск

I think I accidentally found the solutions. I’m also on iOS 12.1, so here’s what I did:

• Close all recent apps (double click home button and swipe up), make sure no single app is running
  • Open Settings >>> Screen Time >>> Turn OFF Screen Time
  • Back to Home Screen, close all apps again
  • Return to Settings >>> Screen Time >>> Turn ON Screen Time
  • In Screen Time, choose: Content & Privacy Restrictions >>> Disable/Switch Off Content & Privacy Restrictions button at the very top
  • Return to home screen, now open iTunes Store, switch to Music Store and preview any explicit music
  • Choose ALLOW when the Pop Up asks you to allow Explicit Contents on your phone

There you go, I hope this will help you.

Sep 20, 2018 6:25 AM in response to irinafromякутск

Hello irinafromякутск,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. You should be able to listen to whichever type of music you'd like to in Apple Music. I can help with this. Let's make sure this setting wasn't turned off in Restrictions at some point even though you don't have it enabled now. To check this, go to Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions. Turn on Content & Privacy Restrictions at the top and then tap on Content Restrictions. Make sure Music, Podcasts & News is still set to Explicit.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Nov 7, 2018 6:51 AM in response to irinafromякутск

Okay I had the same problem but there is one solution that worked for me. It is you need to download iTunes on your PC (Windows/Mac) and have your iPhone connected to WiFi or through the Lightning Cable, then you can just go into Edit. There you will see a preference button. All you need to do is you can just simply go in the Restrictions Tab then you can just toggle allow explicit content to off for once, then it will ask for your permission. Simply toggle it to off and then just toggle it to on. It worked for me like a charm.

Cheers

Dec 4, 2018 7:43 AM in response to irinafromякутск

So I tried the iTunes work around and that didn't work for me. I even tried turning off all content restrictions and rebooting the phone. Still it didn't work. Then I just went to Settings -> Screen Time -> Content & Privacy Restrictions -> Content Restrictions -> Music, Content & News and switched the option to Clean then back to Explicit and I was able to play the explicit tracks.

Hope this helps anyone facing the same horrible bug.

Feb 10, 2019 4:24 AM in response to DrunkBlackMamba

Someone please help, I’ve tried every single one of these methods and it still doesn’t work for me, I just updated to IOS 12.1.4 and I have rebooted my iPhone multiple times and still nothing, I don’t even get a pop up when I try to purchase the song on iTunes, but there are no restrictions on my phone, anyone have any idea?

Apple Music doesn't play explicit songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.