Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are FaceTime Live Photos

I used to enjoy using Live Photo feature in FaceTime app. Since update of iOS12/Mojave, I don't see a white circular button on FaceTIme screen nor seeing a toggle button on FaceTime settings.

Is this feature removed or temporarily removed? If this is not going to be recovered, I would like to return to iOS11/High Sierra as soon as iOS11/High Sierra signing closed. Does anyone have an idea?

​[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 4:03 PM

Yep, removed ... at least for now. Very Apple-like behavior.

Thursday, Oct 04, 2018 01:32 PM
Duration 14 minutes 10 seconds

Alicia

Thanks for contacting Apple Support. My name is Alicia. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Oleksandr

Hi Alicia, how'r u today?

Alicia

Hi Oleksandr!

Alicia

Hope you’re having a great day. How may I help today?

Oleksandr

I am really confused why I cannot take Live Photos anymore during FaceTime calls

Oleksandr

am I doing something wrong, I just do not see this feature anymore anywhere

Alicia

I can certainly have our technical support team to assist with this today. Which device are you using?

Oleksandr

iPhone X

Alicia

Thanks. I will get you transferred now.

Storm

Thanks for contacting Apple Support. How can I help you?

Storm

Hi Oleksandr, I hope you are having a terrific Thursday!

Oleksandr

Hi, Storm =) it is good so far, thanks

Storm

I see you have chatted in with us about not being able to take Live Photos in FaceTime, is that correct?

Storm

Great to hear!

Oleksandr

yes, I really cannot find how to do that now

Storm

I will be happy to assist you with this issue!

Storm

May I ask a few questions to get us started?

Oleksandr

sure

Storm

Thank you!

Storm

What version of iOS is your iPhone X currently running? You can find this information under Settings>General>About and it can be found under Version.

Oleksandr

Storm

In iOS 12 Live Photos in FaceTime is no longer available.

Storm

You can see that information here: https://help.apple.com/iphone/12/#/iph7801d5771

Oleksandr

oook... <br/>this link does not really work

System Message

We haven’t heard from you in a while. To keep your chat session active, please respond to your Apple Advisor and let us know you are still there.

Storm

Let me get the right one for you, sorry about that.

Storm

https://help.apple.com/iphone/12/#/iph8f357526d

Storm

https://help.apple.com/iphone/12/#/iph7801d5771 this one as well.

Oleksandr

okey, this is link to how to use FaceTime

Oleksandr

but it says nothing about taking Live Photos there

Storm

Yes, it does not list the Live Photo. Which lets our customers know that the feature is not there.

Oleksandr

or discontinuation of this feature

Oleksandr

no no, we can argue about this of course - not saying something is not actually equal to saying something

Cedrick

Thanks for contacting Apple Support. My name is Cedrick. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Cedrick

Hi Oleksandr! Hope your day is going well!

Oleksandr

Hi Cedrick ... it was good so far, thank you

Oleksandr

I was just starting to have interesting conversation with Storm as you can see

Cedrick

You’re welcome! I understand you have an issue with an application on your phone. Is that correct?

Cedrick

Yes, I can see the conversation here now

Oleksandr

well, as far as I figured by now - issue is that particular feature has been removed silently

Oleksandr

I'm talking about taking Live Photos during faceTime calls

Cedrick

I can definitely see why you are chatting back in about this today Oleksandr! I understand how important this is to you, knowing how I would feel if I were having this same issue with my device. I can definitely look in to some options here that may help you resolve this issue!

Oleksandr

notice: feature was widely advertised during iOS 11 presentation year ago and after as one of features iOS and iPhone devices are capable of

Oleksandr

hm, thank you... what could be options here?

Oleksandr

I would really love to hear some explanation about reasoning for this feature removal

Cedrick

I completely understand how you feel. Sadly, that would be a question for our software developers

Cedrick

You should be able to take screenshots of the call when you are on FaceTime

Oleksandr

product managers rathe. can you relay this question to the person responsible for making such decision?

Oleksandr

ok, screenshots are definitely an option, far from what Live Photo is of course and far less convenient too

Cedrick

Yes, it is an option after the removal of Live Photos. Your feedback is very important to us on how you feel about the features on iOS 12

Cedrick

As you know, Apple strives to provide exceptional products and services and one of the ways that we can continue to improve is by acting upon both positive feedback and constructive criticism. In fact, many of the changes implemented by Apple has come from customers like yourself, who have gone to https://www.apple.com/feedback/ and provided their feedback and opinions to those in a position to act on it. I would really encourage you to click on the link after we are finished and provide your honest feedback.

Oleksandr

Ok, just to be fair here - this is not limited to iOS, right?

Oleksandr

This feature has been removed in FaceTime for MacOS too - as I correct?

Cedrick

Yes, that is correct. Live Photos is no longer available with the iOS 12

Cedrick

As well as MacOS

Oleksandr

We are talking about Live Photos in FaceTime... not Live Photos in general, right?

Oleksandr

cause I still can take Live Photos with Camera app and have them in Photos app, right?

Cedrick

Yes, we are talking about Live Photos on FaceTime

Oleksandr

phew, that was a moment of concern right there =)))

Cedrick

I completely agree with you Oleksandr. I miss live photos on FaceTime as well.

Cedrick

Hopefully it is brought back to future iOS updates

Oleksandr

so, was there any public announcement that contained news about removal of this feature?

Oleksandr

cause I cannot find any, it looks like it was just silently removed and as Storm said people should derive and conclude from that that the feature is gone

Cedrick

Sadly there hasn’t been an annoumcemnt regarding the removal of that feature

Oleksandr

Ok, I see, glad you hear our pain. Last question - can I share this chat in Apple Support communities, so other ppl with same question do not keep being frustrated?

Cedrick

You absolutely can Oleksandr! As I mentioned earlier, your feedback is important to us

Oleksandr ***

Thank you, Cedrick. Have a beautiful continuation of this day!

[Personal Information Edited by Host]
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2018 4:03 PM in response to Exive

Yep, removed ... at least for now. Very Apple-like behavior.

Thursday, Oct 04, 2018 01:32 PM
Duration 14 minutes 10 seconds

Alicia

Thanks for contacting Apple Support. My name is Alicia. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Oleksandr

Hi Alicia, how'r u today?

Alicia

Hi Oleksandr!

Alicia

Hope you’re having a great day. How may I help today?

Oleksandr

I am really confused why I cannot take Live Photos anymore during FaceTime calls

Oleksandr

am I doing something wrong, I just do not see this feature anymore anywhere

Alicia

I can certainly have our technical support team to assist with this today. Which device are you using?

Oleksandr

iPhone X

Alicia

Thanks. I will get you transferred now.

Storm

Thanks for contacting Apple Support. How can I help you?

Storm

Hi Oleksandr, I hope you are having a terrific Thursday!

Oleksandr

Hi, Storm =) it is good so far, thanks

Storm

I see you have chatted in with us about not being able to take Live Photos in FaceTime, is that correct?

Storm

Great to hear!

Oleksandr

yes, I really cannot find how to do that now

Storm

I will be happy to assist you with this issue!

Storm

May I ask a few questions to get us started?

Oleksandr

sure

Storm

Thank you!

Storm

What version of iOS is your iPhone X currently running? You can find this information under Settings>General>About and it can be found under Version.

Oleksandr

Storm

In iOS 12 Live Photos in FaceTime is no longer available.

Storm

You can see that information here: https://help.apple.com/iphone/12/#/iph7801d5771

Oleksandr

oook... <br/>this link does not really work

System Message

We haven’t heard from you in a while. To keep your chat session active, please respond to your Apple Advisor and let us know you are still there.

Storm

Let me get the right one for you, sorry about that.

Storm

https://help.apple.com/iphone/12/#/iph8f357526d

Storm

https://help.apple.com/iphone/12/#/iph7801d5771 this one as well.

Oleksandr

okey, this is link to how to use FaceTime

Oleksandr

but it says nothing about taking Live Photos there

Storm

Yes, it does not list the Live Photo. Which lets our customers know that the feature is not there.

Oleksandr

or discontinuation of this feature

Oleksandr

no no, we can argue about this of course - not saying something is not actually equal to saying something

Cedrick

Thanks for contacting Apple Support. My name is Cedrick. Please give me a moment to look over your information.

Cedrick

Hi Oleksandr! Hope your day is going well!

Oleksandr

Hi Cedrick ... it was good so far, thank you

Oleksandr

I was just starting to have interesting conversation with Storm as you can see

Cedrick

You’re welcome! I understand you have an issue with an application on your phone. Is that correct?

Cedrick

Yes, I can see the conversation here now

Oleksandr

well, as far as I figured by now - issue is that particular feature has been removed silently

Oleksandr

I'm talking about taking Live Photos during faceTime calls

Cedrick

I can definitely see why you are chatting back in about this today Oleksandr! I understand how important this is to you, knowing how I would feel if I were having this same issue with my device. I can definitely look in to some options here that may help you resolve this issue!

Oleksandr

notice: feature was widely advertised during iOS 11 presentation year ago and after as one of features iOS and iPhone devices are capable of

Oleksandr

hm, thank you... what could be options here?

Oleksandr

I would really love to hear some explanation about reasoning for this feature removal

Cedrick

I completely understand how you feel. Sadly, that would be a question for our software developers

Cedrick

You should be able to take screenshots of the call when you are on FaceTime

Oleksandr

product managers rathe. can you relay this question to the person responsible for making such decision?

Oleksandr

ok, screenshots are definitely an option, far from what Live Photo is of course and far less convenient too

Cedrick

Yes, it is an option after the removal of Live Photos. Your feedback is very important to us on how you feel about the features on iOS 12

Cedrick

As you know, Apple strives to provide exceptional products and services and one of the ways that we can continue to improve is by acting upon both positive feedback and constructive criticism. In fact, many of the changes implemented by Apple has come from customers like yourself, who have gone to https://www.apple.com/feedback/ and provided their feedback and opinions to those in a position to act on it. I would really encourage you to click on the link after we are finished and provide your honest feedback.

Oleksandr

Ok, just to be fair here - this is not limited to iOS, right?

Oleksandr

This feature has been removed in FaceTime for MacOS too - as I correct?

Cedrick

Yes, that is correct. Live Photos is no longer available with the iOS 12

Cedrick

As well as MacOS

Oleksandr

We are talking about Live Photos in FaceTime... not Live Photos in general, right?

Oleksandr

cause I still can take Live Photos with Camera app and have them in Photos app, right?

Cedrick

Yes, we are talking about Live Photos on FaceTime

Oleksandr

phew, that was a moment of concern right there =)))

Cedrick

I completely agree with you Oleksandr. I miss live photos on FaceTime as well.

Cedrick

Hopefully it is brought back to future iOS updates

Oleksandr

so, was there any public announcement that contained news about removal of this feature?

Oleksandr

cause I cannot find any, it looks like it was just silently removed and as Storm said people should derive and conclude from that that the feature is gone

Cedrick

Sadly there hasn’t been an annoumcemnt regarding the removal of that feature

Oleksandr

Ok, I see, glad you hear our pain. Last question - can I share this chat in Apple Support communities, so other ppl with same question do not keep being frustrated?

Cedrick

You absolutely can Oleksandr! As I mentioned earlier, your feedback is important to us

Oleksandr ***

Thank you, Cedrick. Have a beautiful continuation of this day!

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

Oct 8, 2018 6:04 PM in response to xSashaCH

Thank you for sharing this! I'm extremely gutted about losing this feature. Taking screenshots is a very poor substitute, as the resolution is much much worse.

"Yes, it does not list the Live Photo. Which lets our customers know that the feature is not there." -- what an infuriating, nonsensical response from Storm! I'm glad Cedrick was a little more honest. However, that link that he provided to Product Feedback - Apple doesn't have Facetime listed anywhere. Does anyone know the best way to communicate this issue?

Nov 14, 2018 1:54 PM in response to Exive

I’ve done a fair bit of searching around, and it doesn’t look like FaceTime photos will be back anytime soon. It’s frustrating to say the least, especially for people that almost depend on FaceTime photos in a way for things such as long distance relationships, like me. I think the only thing we can do now is send Apple feature requests asking them to add the FaceTime photos back into a later IOS update. If anyone feels irritated by the lack of FaceTime photos now, please go to this link https://www.apple.com/feedback/ and submit a feature request to Apple!

Sep 19, 2018 9:14 AM in response to ckuan

The downgrade is already blocked? ****, then none of my other macOS and iOS devices will skip for new updates. Hope adding group FaceTime in the future update also brings Live Photo feature back. Thanks! And, please anyone, let me know if there were any feedback from Apple on FaceTime Live Photo will be coming or not.

Sep 29, 2018 2:59 PM in response to Exive

They had removed this. My most favorite feature of iOS that I use multiple times everyday has been removed.

The new UI is also really bad, tap 3 times for flipping front/rear camera? Thanks, Apple!

The only reason I still use an iPhone up to know is because of FaceTime/iMessage, without that, I don't see any point to continue with this ecosystem anymore.

Switching to Skype now. And probably to Android in the future.

Where are FaceTime Live Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.