Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use move to iOS with Android 9

ive tried to use the move to iOS app with my Pixel 2 XL on Android 9 and it doesnt let me connect to the iPhone. Instead it says cannot connect to the device. ive tried as many troubleshooting steps as possible including resetting network settings, using aeroplane mode, taking out SIM card etc and still nothing.

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 6:08 AM

10 replies

Sep 20, 2018 9:02 AM in response to Nathan1102

Hey, Nathan!

I see you're trying to move content from an Android to an iPhone, but are running into some trouble. I'm happy to help!

First, make sure you're following the steps outlined in Move from Android to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support . If you are, head to the bottom of the same article and check out the "If you need help with the transfer" section, which provides the following troubleshooting:

If you have issues moving your content, there are a couple of things that you can check:

• Make sure that you leave both devices alone until the transfer finishes. For example, on your Android device, the Move to iOS app should stay onscreen the whole time. If you use another app or get a phone call on your Android before the transfer finishes, your content won't transfer.
  • On your Android device, turn off apps or settings that might affect your Wi-Fi connection, like the Sprint Connections Optimizer or the Smart Network Switch. Then find Wi-Fi in Settings, touch and hold each known network, and forget the network. Then try the transfer again.
  • Restart both of your devices and try again.
  • On your Android device, turn off your cellular data connection. Then try the transfer again.

Best!

Nov 4, 2018 7:03 AM in response to Nathan1102

Android 9 changed up the permissions for access types that Move to iOS uses. I was on the phone with apple support and got elevated to a supervisor when trying to migrate my wife from a pixel 2 to an iPhone XR. Long story short, the Move to iOS app likely needs updated before it'll connect with an Android 9 device. Since older versions of Android cannot see backups from newer versions of Android, you're basically stuck waiting for apple to update their app, using a shady third party transfer app (I wouldn't do this), manually backing things up on a computer, or just doing without. This is as of the end of October 2018.

Nov 25, 2018 1:26 PM in response to cobra281

I spoke with a friend at Verizon who said a recent customer informed them that apple is aware of the issue and hopes to have a fix out soon.

In the meantime, if you have a spare Android device in addition to your Android 9.0 device, do the following:

1) on Android 9 device download SMS Backup from play store. Backup your texts and phone calls and pictures to your Google drive.

2) backup any other pictures or things you might want to your Google drive.

3) get on your Android device that has Android 8 or older (I think Android 6 or earlier could be TOO OLD). Download SMS Backup on this older device, and restore your texts and calls to Google drive. You must do this step because SMS backup isn't available on iPhone. This is the only way to get your texts and calls to your iPhone.

4) follow the instructions of Move to iOS on your older Android phone, it should now allow the transfer to your iPhone because it isn't Android 9.

5) download Google drive on your iPhone and grab whatever was missed.

Hopefully that helps.

Nov 25, 2018 1:27 PM in response to nickbx02

I posted this to someone below:

I spoke with a friend at Verizon who said a recent customer informed them that apple is aware of the issue and hopes to have a fix out soon.

In the meantime, if you have a spare Android device in addition to your Android 9.0 device, do the following:

1) on Android 9 device download SMS Backup from play store. Backup your texts and phone calls and pictures to your Google drive.

2) backup any other pictures or things you might want to your Google drive.

3) get on your Android device that has Android 8 or older (I think Android 6 or earlier could be TOO OLD). Download SMS Backup on this older device, and restore your texts and calls to Google drive. You must do this step because SMS backup isn't available on iPhone. This is the only way to get your texts and calls to your iPhone.

4) follow the instructions of Move to iOS on your older Android phone, it should now allow the transfer to your iPhone because it isn't Android 9.

5) download Google drive on your iPhone and grab whatever was missed.

Hopefully that helps.

How to use move to iOS with Android 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.