Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icons in Finder window won't let me move them

I am trying to sort and arrange some icons in my finder window. I used to be able to arrange them by name (or kind, or whatever) and then move them around at will. Now, if I arrange them, they keep bouncing back to where they were when I try to drag them somewhere else; and if I indicate that I want them arranged by None, suddenly they sprawl all over the place, on top each other, spread out wider than the window...

I found a post about a problem something like this on the discussion boards, and the reply was a smug, "Well, you'll just have to do things differently." I don't want to do things differently, I want to be able to arrange my icons by name, drag them where I want them while I sort them and put them in folders, and then arrange them again when I'm ready. That's how it worked on all my previous Macs. So how do I get it to work that way now that I've got Sierra?

While we're at it, when I have it arrange the icons by Kind, it shows only a tiny sample of them and I have to go clicking to get it to show more. How do I make it arrange the icons by Kind and show all of them at once, the way it used to?

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 1:19 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 21, 2018 10:15 AM in response to Elsiebiades

Hello Elsiebiades,

I see that you are having an issue arranging icons in your Finder window. I can help you get this sorted out.

I suggest some software isolation testing in another user account and safe mode to see if you get the same result.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If you don't notice the issue in either, check the Login Items that start when you log into the main user account of your Mac to see if there are any conflicts.

macOS Sierra: Open items automatically when you log in

Regards.

Sep 21, 2018 7:47 PM in response to Elsiebiades

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop. Then reset your preferences as desired.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Icons in Finder window won't let me move them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.