Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Questions - iPhone 8 Screen & Apple Support

I have 2 questions. Firstly, I used to have an iPhone 8 but no longer have it because I upgraded with T-Mobile to an S9. I'm trying to ask a question about the 8 because I want to switch back due to the screen type the S9 has. I've seen people talking about the AMOLED/OLED displays aggravating people's photosensitive epilepsy. There are multiple forum posts here about it and on Reddit.

My first question is, is there a way to speak to with Apple support directly to ask what type of screen they use?

Secondly, if I can't (which is kind of ridiculous to be honest but, I digress), besides the LCD on the Xr, what does the 8 have?

Please note, I can't use the X or the Xs because of the screen it has.

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 12:45 PM

Here is a link to the iPhone Specifications. The guy at T-Mobile (who probably sold shoes last week for a living) simply doesn't know what he's talking about. The only difference between iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is screen size and both come with LCD displays.

iPhone 8 Plus - Technical Specifications

Taken from the link I just provided you:

Display

• Retina HD display
  • 5.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen LCD Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
  • 1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi
  • 1300:1 contrast ratio (typical)
  • True Tone display
  • Wide color display (P3)
  • 3D Touch
  • 625 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
  • Dual-domain pixels for wide viewing angles
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
  • Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
  • Display Zoom
  • Reachability
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2018 12:45 PM in response to amazingmanderrr

Here is a link to the iPhone Specifications. The guy at T-Mobile (who probably sold shoes last week for a living) simply doesn't know what he's talking about. The only difference between iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is screen size and both come with LCD displays.

iPhone 8 Plus - Technical Specifications

Taken from the link I just provided you:

Display

• Retina HD display
  • 5.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen LCD Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
  • 1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi
  • 1300:1 contrast ratio (typical)
  • True Tone display
  • Wide color display (P3)
  • 3D Touch
  • 625 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
  • Dual-domain pixels for wide viewing angles
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
  • Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
  • Display Zoom
  • Reachability

Sep 20, 2018 12:37 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks. The guy at T-Mobile was trying to tell me that it has an OLED display. I wanted to confirm with Apple directly before I go back and tell him he is wrong. I know Apple still sells it but I can't get it from T-Mobile anymore because they took it off JOD. I also can't cancel my JOD because they want about $450 up front. It's irritating.

Will call require a serial #?

Sep 20, 2018 12:55 PM in response to amazingmanderrr

You can buy it from Apple directly or T-Mobile. He was likely referring to back lighting. Whether you wait for the Xr is up to you. Personally, I would as it provides FaceID and Animoji/Memoji a larger screen and the newest processors and neural networks Apple has in it's parts bin. But rest assured whether you go with iPhone 8/8Plus/Xr all three come with an LCD display.

Sep 20, 2018 12:58 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I have the Jump On Demand so I can't get the iPhone 8 because they took it off there last Friday. They want me to buy out my S9 (~$350), pay an additional $144 to cancel JOD, then will give me a $259 trade-in credit because I bought the S9 I'm trading it. THEN, he said he'd give me a $50 credit on my bill. No thanks. I wish I had the money to buy things out right but I guess I'm waiting. I don't really care about the rest to be honest, I just want a phone that isn't going to kill me.

Two Questions - iPhone 8 Screen & Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.