Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pros and cons of using iCloud Photo Library

I have a large (55,000+ photos) library of photos on my Mac in Photos.

Because I use all Apple devices - iPhone and iPad - I'm considering using iCloud Photo Library.

Pros? Cons? I want everyday ease of use, synchronization across all my devices, organization, relatively low cost (currently have over 135GB available of iCloud storage).

(I also use SmugMug for special albums/galleries but that's separate.)

Looking for input and suggestions.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 3:46 AM

Because I use all Apple devices - iPhone and iPad - I'm considering using iCloud Photo Library.

Pros? Cons? I want everyday ease of use, synchronization across all my devices, organization, relatively low cost (currently have over 135GB available of iCloud storage).

The Pros and Cons will depend on how you are using iCloud Photo Library. If you use "Optimize Storage" to save storage on the devices, you will have a lot of drawbacks.

I am using iCloud Photo Library only as a syncing service, and that it working very well for me .

• Benefits of iCloud Photo Library
    • The Photo Libraries on all Macs will always be identical, because all changes will sync. Only the projects do not sync.
    • On your iOS devices you will see the adjustments, albums, folders. Butnot be able to see the titles, descriptions, keywords, and the smart albums do not sync, but they are stored in iCloud.
    • It is easy to migrate Photos Libraries to macs with different system versions. One of my macs is running High Sierra, the others are running Mojave, but my libraries are in sync nevertheless.
    • If a Mac is stolen or stops working, you can restore the library from iCloud. I used this once, when my office got flooded and two macs and all external devices stopped working. I had a separate backup at home, but it was easier simply to restore everything from iCloud.
  • With Optimize Storage enabled:
    • Pro: Your photos and videos will be stored in iCloud in full resolution and you can save storage on the device. Photos will remove older originals, if you run out of storage.
    • Contra:
      • It will be a lot of work to backup your photos and videos, because they will not be included in the Time Machine backup, since they are not stored locally.
      • Editing is slower, because we have to wait for the originals to download from iCloud.
      • It can get very expensive when travelling and you have to pay for the internet connection. And it is annoying, when no internet is available at all.
      • You can no longer sync photos to the mobile devices with iTunes. You can no longer download photos from the mobile devices using a USB connection.
        I am using "Optimize Storage" only occasionally on my iPhone, but never on my Macs.
    • Without "Optimize Storage":
      • Pro: You will profit from all benefits mentioned above, and still have access to all photos instantly. You can still download photos from the device using a USB connection, if you do not have internet.
      • Contra: The initial sync of a large library can take a very long time, for example, my first upload of 40000 photos and videos took more than a week. And Photos will sync the library again and compare all photos to iCloud, if we need to repair the library or move it to a different drive.

i am very pleased with iCloud Photo Library. It is the main reason for me to put up with the limitations of Photos compared to Apple's previous photo programs.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2018 3:46 AM in response to PatsyKB51

The Pros and Cons will depend on how you are using iCloud Photo Library. If you use "Optimize Storage" to save storage on the devices, you will have a lot of drawbacks.

I am using iCloud Photo Library only as a syncing service, and that it working very well for me .

• Benefits of iCloud Photo Library
    • The Photo Libraries on all Macs will always be identical, because all changes will sync. Only the projects do not sync.
    • On your iOS devices you will see the adjustments, albums, folders. Butnot be able to see the titles, descriptions, keywords, and the smart albums do not sync, but they are stored in iCloud.
    • It is easy to migrate Photos Libraries to macs with different system versions. One of my macs is running High Sierra, the others are running Mojave, but my libraries are in sync nevertheless.
    • If a Mac is stolen or stops working, you can restore the library from iCloud. I used this once, when my office got flooded and two macs and all external devices stopped working. I had a separate backup at home, but it was easier simply to restore everything from iCloud.
  • With Optimize Storage enabled:
    • Pro: Your photos and videos will be stored in iCloud in full resolution and you can save storage on the device. Photos will remove older originals, if you run out of storage.
    • Contra:
      • It will be a lot of work to backup your photos and videos, because they will not be included in the Time Machine backup, since they are not stored locally.
      • Editing is slower, because we have to wait for the originals to download from iCloud.
      • It can get very expensive when travelling and you have to pay for the internet connection. And it is annoying, when no internet is available at all.
      • You can no longer sync photos to the mobile devices with iTunes. You can no longer download photos from the mobile devices using a USB connection.
        I am using "Optimize Storage" only occasionally on my iPhone, but never on my Macs.
    • Without "Optimize Storage":
      • Pro: You will profit from all benefits mentioned above, and still have access to all photos instantly. You can still download photos from the device using a USB connection, if you do not have internet.
      • Contra: The initial sync of a large library can take a very long time, for example, my first upload of 40000 photos and videos took more than a week. And Photos will sync the library again and compare all photos to iCloud, if we need to repair the library or move it to a different drive.

i am very pleased with iCloud Photo Library. It is the main reason for me to put up with the limitations of Photos compared to Apple's previous photo programs.

Sep 21, 2018 11:36 AM in response to PatsyKB51

Hello PatsyKB51,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. iCloud Photo Library is a great way to keep all of your photos accessible on all your devices. I can help with this. There is a great article that can explain about using iCloud Photos. Hopefully this will answer some of your questions.

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Make sure that you have enough storage

The photos and videos that you keep in iCloud Photos use your iCloud storage and your device storage. And as long as you have enough space in iCloud and on your device, you can store as many photos and videos as you like.

When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. If you need more space, you can buy more iCloud storage. Plans start at 50GB for $0.99 (USD) a month. If you choose 200GB or 2TB plans, you can share your storage with family. Learn more about plans and prices in your region.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Save space on your device

iCloud Photos keeps all of your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. You can save space on your device when you turn on Optimize Storage.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Choose Optimize [device] Storage.

On your Mac:

1. Open the Photos app and click Photos in the menu bar.
  2. Click Preferences.
  3. Go to the iCloud tab and choose a storage setting.

Take care.

pros and cons of using iCloud Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.