Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot see any of my media despite setting the location of the media folder.

I just installed iTunes 12.9.0.167 on Windows 10. This was a fresh install on a new machine. During the install, I was not asked if I have an existing iTunes library that I'd like to use. iTunes launched normally, but displayed none of my media (and not telling iTunes where my media was located, this did not surprise me).

I then went to Edit > Preferences > Advanced and set the location of my iTunes media, which is on a network share. Still, iTunes displayed none of my media. I shut iTunes down, re-launched it, confirmed my setting was still present and still there was none of my media displayed.

How do I get iTunes to display my existing media?

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 4:27 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 21, 2018 9:42 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

All the article does is get me to the dialog box. Once there, it's not obvious what I'm supposed to do.

When I try to Open iTunes Library, there is no .itl file in the directory where the media is located:

User uploaded file

When I try to Create iTunes Library, it won't accept my selection of the directory that contains the iTunes media. E.g. I select the folder iTunes, but in the Folder name field, it puts iTunes 1, not just iTunes (which is what I have selected).

User uploaded file

The iTunes installation created a new local directory with an iTunes Library.itl file.

User uploaded file

If this is the library I'm supposed to be using, then I'm really confused, because it's there (i.e. not missing).

Is there a "Rebuilt your library from your existing media files" function or feature or something?

I cannot see any of my media despite setting the location of the media folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.