Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Time and Safari

I'm looking at the list of "always allowed" apps to include for the Downtime feature but Safari is not listed there and when downtime is enabled Safari is still able to be used (my allowed apps are phone, messages, FaceTime, maps - the default). Anyone else seeing this issue?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Sep 20, 2018 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2018 6:30 PM

Seriously fix this issue Apple. Down time is down time right. The entire concept of down time is shut off phone activity. Safari is about as active as you can get on a phone. As parents it’s frustrating when a company decides they will allow certain activity that a parent wishes to restrict. If I want my child using safari during downtime then I can turn it on.... not you Apple! Make down time so the entire phone can be shut down if I want.

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2018 6:30 PM in response to sberman

Seriously fix this issue Apple. Down time is down time right. The entire concept of down time is shut off phone activity. Safari is about as active as you can get on a phone. As parents it’s frustrating when a company decides they will allow certain activity that a parent wishes to restrict. If I want my child using safari during downtime then I can turn it on.... not you Apple! Make down time so the entire phone can be shut down if I want.

Oct 1, 2018 2:54 AM in response to Ydarbleoj

Yes this is silly. The one work around I figured is that you have to disable Safari under "Content & Privacy Restrictions" and then "allowed apps". Then you have to just download Chrome (or some other 3rd party browser) so that it will be blocked when you pick "all apps & categories". Then when the phone is locked down there will not be a web browser available.

Feb 22, 2019 9:52 PM in response to jbhenry

I was having same issue, but figured it out. Hope this helps...

1. Open“Settings” on IPhone
  2. Click on “Screen Time”
  3. Scroll to the bottom and Turn off “Screen Time”
  4. Now Turn “Screen Time” back on
  5. Close Settings and open “Safari” for a few seconds(Like 10-15seconds is fine)
  6. Go back to Settings and click on “Screen Time”
  7. At the top click on “IPhone”
  8. Scroll down to where it says Most Used and to the right it will either say “Show Categories” or “Show Apps & Websites” in blue lettering.
  9. Click on either “Show Apps & Websites” or “Show Categories” until you’re reading “Show Categories”
  10. Safari should be under one of your most used so click on “Safari”
  11. Scroll to bottom where it says “Add Limit” and add whatever limit you want to have set while using the Safari App.
  12. Click the “Add” button on the top right

That’s it, hope this was helpful for someone.

Mar 1, 2019 9:55 AM in response to tedmanzie

Seriously guys the “solution” or reason safari stays active during downtime has been explained several times on this thread. When Downtime is active safari stays accessible. *However* it is restricted from loading any websites by the user. Please see the attached screenshot.

No need to download chrome, or other workarounds. This is how it’s meant to operate.

I have just turned on downtime, clicked on safari and tried to load several websites. As expected nothing loads. I tried google.com, YouTube.com, and even the apple.com site. None of them loaded. So I don’t understand where the problem is?

By the way if you are setting this up for a child and you want to replace the “ignore limit” option with “ask for permission to extend limit” option you need to set up downtime under family sharing.

Feb 22, 2019 9:59 PM in response to miles241

I was having same issue, but figured it out. Hope this helps...

1. Open“Settings” on IPhone
  2. Click on “Screen Time”
  3. Scroll to the bottom and Turn off “Screen Time”
  4. Now Turn “Screen Time” back on
  5. Close Settings and open “Safari” for a few seconds(Like 10-15seconds is fine)
  6. Go back to Settings and click on “Screen Time”
  7. At the top click on “IPhone”
  8. Scroll down to where it says Most Used and to the right it will either say “Show Categories” or “Show Apps & Websites” in blue lettering.
  9. Click on either “Show Apps & Websites” or “Show Categories” until you’re reading “Show Categories”
  10. Safari should be under one of your most used so click on “Safari”
  11. Scroll to bottom where it says “Add Limit” and add whatever limit you want to have set while using the Safari App.
  12. Click the “Add” button on the top right

That’s it, hope this was helpful for someone.

Dec 8, 2018 8:08 PM in response to jbhenry

My son quickly discovered that 1. Safari is available always and 2. videos opened into full-screen mode from Safari, if left open, will continue indefinitely during downtime and after he has already used up his allotted time for videos for the day. Screen Time is great in concept, but there are so many loop holes that it's useless. I turned Safari off today using this tip and will try installing Chrome, but I'm wondering if the same full-screen video cheat will be a problem.

Dec 31, 2018 4:35 PM in response to Duble007

I agree that this is a major loophole. Despite having downtime set from 10:00 PM to 7:00 AM and a 3 hour limit for all apps I found our son was able to use Safari/YouTube for 5 hours from midnight to 5:00 AM. Despite not being one of the allowed/not allowed apps I found that I am able to set a specific limit for Safari. Hopefully that will work. More importantly hopefully Apple will fix all of the holes in Screentime.

Oct 22, 2018 1:11 AM in response to Llani123

You can put an app limit on a single app, rather than on a whole class of apps (e.g., Social Networking).

Let's say you want to restrict Snapchat. To do this, you have to go to that devices usage history and see Snapchat listed there. Touch it and you will be taken to a new screen which will include the option to restrict that app only.

It's a rather inconvenient way to set a limit on a single app, but it is available.

Nov 11, 2018 3:29 AM in response to jbhenry

Until Apple sorts out this issue, this is a workaround which basically consists in removing Safari and having Firefox [or other browser] as a web browser on the iPad/iPhone which is considerd then as an App and can be disallowed:

1. Settings -> screen time -> content restrictions -> Apps -> allow all apps or 17+

2. Content restrictions -> Allowed apps -> Switch off Safari

3. In Apple store download Firefox [or other browser] and install

4. In Screen Time -> Always allowed -> make sure Firefox/other browser is amongst the list of applications that are not allowed during downtime

You will have to always allow apps 17+ for Firefox to remain usable, however if you have set up their iPad/iPhone so that the children must ask your approval whenever they download an application this should ensure that they do not download applications that are not suitable for them.

However, if you find any problems with these settings in that they can then access content that they should not, please let me know as I am using these at the moment with my daughter.

Thank you.

Hope this helps!

Laura

Screen Time and Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.