Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Podcast on IOS12 broken BMW carplay

Hi,

Updated to iOS12 and Apple Podcasts now exhibits odd behaviour on BMW head unit. All other carplay apps work fine including the new google maps (hurrah). Symptoms are basically that touch control occasionally works, control knob randomly jumps around items and never settles on any to select.

The touch and control knob are fine on any other app and the main menu in carplay.

I've reset the head unit and phone but makes no difference.

Any ideas?

iPhone 7, iOS 12, BMW Carplay

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 7:25 AM

Hello,

I, too, have a similar problem with the Podcast app after upgrading to iOS12. I have a Honda and Carplay seems to work well with Google maps but not with the Podcast app. The screen will stop responding to touch and the app regularly can't find its own content. This leads to me taking my eyes off the road to touch the screen (=safety hazard). The problem will disappear if I turn off the car and re-start but this is not an option on my commute. Before the iOS12 upgrade the app was stable.

Help please as I need my podcasts back.

I use an iPhone 6s with iOS12

55 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2018 7:25 AM in response to dav_mct2018

Hello,

I, too, have a similar problem with the Podcast app after upgrading to iOS12. I have a Honda and Carplay seems to work well with Google maps but not with the Podcast app. The screen will stop responding to touch and the app regularly can't find its own content. This leads to me taking my eyes off the road to touch the screen (=safety hazard). The problem will disappear if I turn off the car and re-start but this is not an option on my commute. Before the iOS12 upgrade the app was stable.

Help please as I need my podcasts back.

I use an iPhone 6s with iOS12

Sep 24, 2018 7:19 AM in response to dav_mct2018

I have had issues with my iPhone 8 and 2018 Chevy Equinox as well. Similar to this -- touching a podcast will flash the item but doesn't trigger a selection. Today, after I'd been driving for a while, the entire interface went black except for the "Now Playing >" button at the top.

Other CarPlay apps appear to be unaffected. I'm going to try deleting and reinstalling Podcasts to see if that makes any difference.

Sep 28, 2018 2:27 PM in response to dav_mct2018

Same issues with my BMW 530i. I rebooted my iPhone 7. (Hold down volume down control and start button at same time to initiate a reset.) I can now play podcasts, but cannot access the top menu where stations is located. I believe it is using the episodes list. Apple clearly didn’t test carplay compatibility. This is extremely disappointing!

Sep 28, 2018 7:18 PM in response to Alpharetta_Saul

I contacted Apple support via Twitter. The agent did their best to help, but was unable to resolve. The next step recommened was to backup and “reimage” at which point I called it a night. Before this they suggested I check out BMW audio firmware updates for my 2017 530I which I did online and none were specified for this issue.

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

Oct 10, 2018 6:24 AM in response to dav_mct2018

Same for me too; I'm new to CarPlay, so this has always been a problem for me. I cannot say it is connected to any particular thing changing. iPhone 6s / iOS 12 / 2018 Honda CR-V. Podcast app completely non functional through the car's display. The only thing that seems to work is the "currently playing" button. Siri integration with the app is also spotty.

Has anyone else noticed that the phone gets quite hot while using the Podcast app with CarPlay? It doesn't seem to get hot with anything else except Waze, which I use infrequently.

Oct 12, 2018 6:37 PM in response to dav_mct2018

2017 Audi A4. Iphone XS Max and IOS12. Love that Waze was added, bud podcasts are bugging out.

The podcast screen kinda flickers when I use the wheel. I can’t move the cursor to the right side. Today, the podcast would play, but the car’s screen stayed black.

Reading these posts, it definitely seems like the operating system rather than the car or phone

Apple Podcast on IOS12 broken BMW carplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.