Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV doesn't stream via Quicktime

Hi All,

I just recently bought Apple TV 4K.

Yesterday, I was planning on air playing a video from my MacBook Pro 13 inch (2018) via Quicktime. However, it didn't work.

What I see: the icon of airplay in the quicktime app

What happens: when I click on the icon. the screen tries to airplay on my Apple TV but then stops and returns back to my MacBook pro's screen.

The funny part is that the apple tv works fine with mirroring and I ended up watching the video while mirroring my macbook's screen.

Its not a crazy issue but its kind of annoying.

Thanks for reading and hopefully responding

Apple TV 4K, Macbook Pro 13'

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 9:19 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 24, 2018 2:59 AM in response to eabdelrahman89

I would have hoped that Subler would fix ‘stubborn’ MP4 files and make them more compliant, as it has routinely done for me.

Can you give some details: duration (under ~10 hours is not special), file size (under 4GB is not special), video codec (e.g. H.264 or H.265), resolution, etc. Full report would be most helpful.

Did you film this yourself? With what equipment (camera)?

Did you get this from someone else, who may not have had Apple TV compatibility in mind?

Would you mind making a conversion (re-encode) to make it more compatible?

It is important that the video specs are within the limits as stated in the technical specifications (Video Formats), and AirPlay may impose further limits.

Sep 21, 2018 9:53 AM in response to eabdelrahman89

Perhaps there is something glitchy or otherwise unexpected in the file that QuickTime can deal with, but the Apple TV player can’t. If that is the case, then mirroring (=re-encoding the screen) would work while ‘basic’ AirPlay wouldn’t.

Try remuxing the file using Subler (opening, saving as new file with optimizing) to create a more compatible file.

Apple TV doesn't stream via Quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.