Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a problem with the new Drive I purchased?

Did anyone else have trouble with this? Is there a problem with the new Drive I purchased? It works ok when I moved the Photo Booth library to the same disk but I cannot get it to recognize the Photos file. I even made a folder called Pictures on the disk but I am still having the same problem. I even moved my original Photos file to the Trash but it still wouldn't open the file on the disk. Here is what it says: The library “Photos Library disk” is stored on a drive that uses an unsupported disk format. To access this library, copy it to the internal drive on your Mac or to a drive that uses a supported format. I even made sure the disk was set to "read/write". Any suggestions?

[Re-Titled by Host]

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 8:04 PM

How is the drive formatted? Make sure the drive if formatted OS X extended (journaled) with ownership set to be ignored:

User uploaded file

If it isn't formatted like above, reformat it with Disk Utility.

Where is it safe to store a Photos Library? Requirements for the external drive

User uploaded file

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 27, 2018 9:26 PM in response to Old Toad

This was super helpful. Thanks so much. So, I moved everything over successfully to my new external hard drive and Photos was able to open.

Here is problem #2: I can open up the new Library on the external drive but I have lost all the album sorting from the original. Luckily, I didn't delete it and when I switched back to the old Library the album formatting is still present. Any suggestions?

Is there a problem with the new Drive I purchased?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.