Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a device to my mac-mini

under system preferences it shows only the mac mini. I would like to add my iPod shuffle so that I might sync the music. How do I do that? As always you folks are a great help. Thanks.

Murv

Mac mini (Late 2014), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 21, 2018 12:40 PM

8 replies

Sep 23, 2018 8:42 AM in response to Phil0124

By iTunes application, I mean the application, program or App that is called iTunes. It has this icon: User uploaded file

When you have the iTunes window open, a small iPod icon should appear at the top left corner of the iTunes window.

User uploaded file

Is that not happening? Is that the one that remains greyed out?

Once the iPod is detected in iTunes, you can click on that small icon, and then on Music on the left side panel, and then select how you want the music tu sync.

User uploaded file

With that done, you can then click on the sync button on the bottom of the iTunes window. If you want to choose what items to sync you go back to the Song list, and click on the check mark besides each song you want to sync.

When the music is synced you will see that the storage space bar at the bottom, will change to reflect how much music is in the iPod.

Sep 22, 2018 4:28 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I tried it to no avail. I am not sure what you meant by "use the iTunes application to sync it.

I went to iTunes file and clicked devices which had a sync mention but, with the shuffle in the usb port, it was still opaque as opposed to black so I could click it. I don't know what application you are referring to. As I said I am such a novice I can use all the help I can get. After moving music from the library to the shuffle I removed the device and then plugged it in the system in my Toyota and nothing played. I am assuming that the music I moved from library to device was not synced. Does this make any sense?

You are much smarter than I and I appreciate every thing. I will hope to find the answer. If you can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Murv

Sep 23, 2018 8:15 AM in response to murven

Did you check the Apple link that Phil0124 provided? I believe that you are accessing Devices from the file menu.

As the Apple link shows, after connecting iPod to computer and it mounts, then click on the iPod icon in the top left

of screen next to the drop down menu in iTunes. The Apple link uses an iPhone as an example but the procedure is the same.

Sep 23, 2018 3:06 PM in response to Phil0124

Hello again,

Thanks so much for all your effort.

I turned on iTunes and then plugged in a memory stick into the USB port on the mini mac. In checking the upper right corner as suggested, there was no icon indicating that it picked up the device. when you minimize the iTunes window you can see the device on the screen so the machine picks it up. I am not sure what that means.

I am wondering if I should take the mini mac into the local apple shop here in Mendocino. Your thoughts?

Sep 23, 2018 9:29 PM in response to murven

A memory stick is not an iPod, and would not show in iTunes.

If you are using regular memory stick, then you can simply drag and drop the music tracks from iTunes onto the usb drive in Finder.

If you are using an iPod Shuffle, it should show up in iTunes as described above.

If don't tell us exactly what you are using, then we just offer solutions that may not apply to you.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, then yes, it may be best to take the Mac Mini in and have them help you in person so they can see exactly what device you are using.

Adding a device to my mac-mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.