Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Xs wifi slow (half the speed of iPhone8)

I just got the iPhone Xs and noticed the wifi was slow. I checked this versus my iPhone 8 and it's constantly half the speed using various apps like WiFi Sweet Spots or iPerf. It's also noticeable loading content from my local network too. What's going on?

I've tried both 5ghz and 2.4ghz, rebooted router, verified latest router firmware, rebooted phone, reset network settings on the phone, I don't have wifi assist on, disabled bluetooth all without any change. It's always about half the speed of the iPhone8.

The only time it seems close is if I'm literally standing right next to the router. Else if I'm a couple feet away, the Xs drops to half the speed.

iPhone Xs, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 10:00 PM

I had the same issue with a brand new iPhone XS. I changed the iPhone's DNS and speeds were back to normal.

Set a custom DNS

You may try Google DNS. Here is how you can do this:

• Go to Settings > Wi-Fi
  • Find your Wi-Fi
  • Tap on the ℹ button User uploaded file
  • Tap Configure DNS and select Manual
  • Tap add Server
  • Type 8.8.8.8, Google’s DNS numbers.
  • Delete all other DNSs
  • Tap Save
  • You can undo this by selecting Automatic, if you want to do so.
62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2018 10:00 PM in response to eyepwn

I had the same issue with a brand new iPhone XS. I changed the iPhone's DNS and speeds were back to normal.

Set a custom DNS

You may try Google DNS. Here is how you can do this:

• Go to Settings > Wi-Fi
  • Find your Wi-Fi
  • Tap on the ℹ button User uploaded file
  • Tap Configure DNS and select Manual
  • Tap add Server
  • Type 8.8.8.8, Google’s DNS numbers.
  • Delete all other DNSs
  • Tap Save
  • You can undo this by selecting Automatic, if you want to do so.

Jan 7, 2019 1:00 PM in response to eyepwn

Is it updated to the latest version of iOS? iOS 12.0.1 fixed this issue...

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

iOS 12.0.1

iOS 12.0.1 includes bug fixes and improvements for your iPhone or iPad. This update:

• Fixes an issue where some iPhone XS devices did not immediately charge when connected to a Lightning cable
  • Resolves an issue that could cause iPhone XS devices to rejoin a Wi-Fi network at 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz 👈🏻
  • Restores the original position of the “.?123" key on the iPad keyboard
  • Fixes an issue where subtitles may not appear in some video apps
  • Addresses an issue where Bluetooth could become unavailable

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222 

Sep 27, 2018 4:44 AM in response to eyepwn

Wow

I think I found the solution

All you need to do is

1. Make a backup on a computer

2. Factory reset

3. Set up the phone from that backup

4. It should work

This should work as I had the same isssue where my other devices were getting 50Mbps and my iPhone Xs max was only even sometimes getting between 12 to 0

And now I’m getting almost 40

Which is an improvement but it is still not perfect

I hope this works for eve

Sep 22, 2018 10:18 PM in response to alexsantisteban

Thanks for the reply. Tried that but no go. Plus I think DNS only affects internet connection speeds. I've been testing local network speeds which is what has been slow.

On a separate note, I just noticed that in certain cases, there's a big difference when I put my hand behind the phone or not. I propped up the phone and the speeds were decent (still not as good as the iPhone8). But if I just put my hand behind it, the speed drops 2-3 times. Makes me think this is an antenna/interference issue with the phone...

Sep 23, 2018 9:11 PM in response to eyepwn

Are you still restoring a backup from iCloud with new phone? (Check Apple ID - iCloud - backup.... also photos app, and if you are using message sync in iCloud open messages app too)

If so, the phone is prioritizing your backup restore over your speed test. Xs should be 2x faster with newer WiFi chipset. If it still performs like that when restore is complete have diagnostics ran through Apple support app or Apple store.

Sep 25, 2018 9:34 PM in response to alexsantisteban

alexsantisteban wrote:

Nothing works. The only thing that seems to work is to separate the two frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5GHz and force the iPhone to connect to the 5GHZ band. So far the connection has been steady over 120 mbps all day long.

I have had the two frequencies set separate for long time as I had issues with not sticking to 5 ghz without having separate. As long as I am in house it seems no matter the strength of the signal on the 2.4 and 5 I get the same consistent speeds I have gotten with all my iPhones and iPads and MacBooks based on my ISP plan.

where I start to have issues now with the Xs vs X and older phones is that when I am outside my cell signal is still not very strong in neighborhood but my WIFI always reached me fine in yard around house. -- 2-3 out of 4 WIFI bars but it worked fine up til X. Now my Xs has a flakness with WIFI outside (developed after a couple days was fine for awhile) that results in loosing internet in various apps and my cell is not strong enough to be used WIFI is needed in my yard. I can see the bars flicker from 3 to 1 to zero back to 2 and 3and when I do speed tests outside the WIFI even when showing 3 bars like inside fails to find/connect to server to do test most of time and when I does the speeds are dismal so my phone is having problems in connecting through house outside but no problem even in distant rooms as long as inside.

Sep 29, 2018 2:37 PM in response to eyepwn

same issue. tried my 6s and my wife 6s. both have consistent speeds throughout the house. if I walk 3 feet away from my router, speeds cut in half. LTE also *****.

if I don't hear anything from Apple in 1 week, returning this phone. switched from android last year. came to apple to get away from the problems with Android OEMs. I did not pay good money for this to be happening.

iPhone Xs wifi slow (half the speed of iPhone8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.