Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod not recognized by Windows 10 iTunes

My Windows 10 iTunes has stopped recognizing my iPod shuffle (4th gen). It recognizes my iPhone and iPad.

It tells me it needs a software update for the two to communicate but the software won't install. It just seems to stop. Is there a fix or a work around? Is there a way to transfer my Audible books from my iPad Pro to my iPod? That's all I need.

iPod shuffle, 4th generation

Posted on Sep 22, 2018 5:37 PM

2 replies

Sep 23, 2018 2:31 PM in response to LS1950

Hi ​LS1950,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that iTunes is unable to communicate with your iPod shuffle because it requires a software update, but you're unable to successfully install the update. I know it's important to use iTunes to manage the content on your iOS devices; I'd like to help. First, I'd suggest working through the steps available here for updating iTunes for Windows: If you can't install or update iTunes for Windows

If you're able to successfully update, test your iPod Shuffle with iTunes again; if the issue persists, but you're not prompted to update, check out the steps and information here, including for Windows PC if the first section doesn't resolve this: If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

If I've misunderstood, could you let me know if you're referring to the iPod Shuffle requiring an update?

Best Regards.

Sep 24, 2018 2:54 AM in response to rose_10

Same problem here. When I connect one of my iPods to my windows computer iTunes downloads and installs iPod support (which can be seen in the iTunes screen) but after that nothing changes. My iPod does not appear in iTunes. When I connect the same iPod to another computer (also Windows 10 and the same version of iTunes) there's no problem. I tried everything, but nothing worked so far.

ipod not recognized by Windows 10 iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.