Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased new iphone. whatsapp cannot access my contacts.

unable to share contacts with whatsapp.

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 2:35 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Davetay!

I understand you're unable to get Whatsapp to see the contacts on your iPhone. I can understand how this may be concerning, especially when trying to get in touch with friends and family via the app. I'd be happy to provide you information that may help you out.

Here's a good article from Whatsapp: Problems seeing contacts

How to enable access to your contacts

If you initially denied WhatsApp access to your phone's contacts, you can enable access by going to your phone's settings:

1. Go to User uploaded fileiPhone Settings > Privacy.
  2. Tap Contacts.
  3. Make sure WhatsApp is turned on.

User uploaded file

If WhatsApp is grayed out or doesn't appear in privacy settings

This is a rare issue, but it does happen to a small number of users. Ensure you don't have any restrictions set in User uploaded fileiPhone Settings > General > Restrictions. Otherwise, you'll most likely need to restore your phone. Please visit the Apple Support website for more information on how to back up and restore your information.

I hope his helps!

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2018 2:35 AM in response to Davetay

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Davetay!

I understand you're unable to get Whatsapp to see the contacts on your iPhone. I can understand how this may be concerning, especially when trying to get in touch with friends and family via the app. I'd be happy to provide you information that may help you out.

Here's a good article from Whatsapp: Problems seeing contacts

How to enable access to your contacts

If you initially denied WhatsApp access to your phone's contacts, you can enable access by going to your phone's settings:

1. Go to User uploaded fileiPhone Settings > Privacy.
  2. Tap Contacts.
  3. Make sure WhatsApp is turned on.

User uploaded file

If WhatsApp is grayed out or doesn't appear in privacy settings

This is a rare issue, but it does happen to a small number of users. Ensure you don't have any restrictions set in User uploaded fileiPhone Settings > General > Restrictions. Otherwise, you'll most likely need to restore your phone. Please visit the Apple Support website for more information on how to back up and restore your information.

I hope his helps!

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

Purchased new iphone. whatsapp cannot access my contacts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.