Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Handoff, iMessages, and FaceTime Problems on Mac

A few years ago my MacBook storage filled up while downloading something and the system went somewhat haywire. I managed to fix this issues but ever since my iMessages and FaceTime applications have not been working on my mac. I would get the "An error occurred during activation/authentication" message. Handoff did work however.

I recently created a new Apple ID and iCloud account and logged into it on both my MacBook and iPhone and I believe everything has been working fine on my iPhone, but Messages and FaceTime are still not working on my Mac and now I can't get Handoff to work either.

(iPhone running iOS 12 and Mac running 10.13.6 High Sierra)

I have tried everything I could find. I reset NVRAM, tried to use messages while in safe boot, logged out of everything and the logged back in, and done all the smaller things like made sure date and time were correct. I'm not sure if this is an iCloud problem or a problem with my mac or what.

If anyone could give me any other things I could try then please let me know.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 9:42 AM

You have already followed all steps in these two articles If you can't sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac - Apple Support

Learn more

Learn what to do if you have other FaceTime issues.

FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.

Do you use third party softwares /unknown apps in your Mac use https://etrecheck.com/

And posts the results , you must create a new test user account and observe the activity of both face time , handoff , iMessages in this account see this article How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2018 9:42 AM in response to frog85g

You have already followed all steps in these two articles If you can't sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac - Apple Support

Learn more

Learn what to do if you have other FaceTime issues.

FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.

Do you use third party softwares /unknown apps in your Mac use https://etrecheck.com/

And posts the results , you must create a new test user account and observe the activity of both face time , handoff , iMessages in this account see this article How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 23, 2018 10:04 AM in response to frog85g

These are the steps to create a new user account -

HOW TO SET UP A NEW TEST USER ACCOUNT

Create a new user account in users and groups by clicking on plus sign , name an account and enter its password .

Take cursor on apple logo and log out from your old user account and then enter the credentials name and password on the screen of your new user account .

( a )The window is showing data and privacy , click on continue and sign in with your Apple ID ( fill up the credentials ) and click on continue .

( b ) Again enter your Apple ID and password and click on continue .

( c ) A prompt will appear on the screen use two factor authentication ( its optional you can uncheck the box and click on continue ) .

( d ) A pop up window will appear do not upgrade Apple ID security and upgrade iCloud security , so click on do not upgrade .

( e ) A small circle will be rotating , setting up account will be shown , wait for a while and options will be shown would you like to set up iCloud Keychain ( 1 ) set up iCloud Keychain ( 2 ) set up later , you can click on set up later and click on continue .

( f ) A window will appear showing enable ask Siri , keep the box checked and click on continue .

( g ) Another window will appear all your files in iCloud stores files from documents and desktop in iCloud Drive , so check the box of it and click on continue .It will show setting up your Mac , three right check marks will be shown .

( h ) Open system preferences and click on accessibility > trackpad options , check the boxes of scrolling with inertia and enable dragging with three finger drag and click on ok ( as drag and drop feature always help a user in every way ) .

( I ) Again in the system preferences > click on I cloud you will see the box of keychain is unchecked , so check the box of it after a while a prompt will appear enter you Apple ID password to set up iCloud Keychain so fill up the password and click on ok .

( j ) Again a pop up window will appear to set up iCloud keychain on this Mac , request approval from one of your other devices using iCloud Keychain .( 1 ) use code ( 2 ) cancel ( 3 ) request approval , so click on use code .

( k ) Wait for a while , nothing will appear on the screen after that a window will appear enter your iCloud security code , so after entering it click on next .

( l) An sms will come to the trusted mobile so enter the code and click on ok and you will notice in front of keychain setting up and a small circle is rotating , the box of keychain will get checked .

( m) On the top right corner of the screen a small notification will appear google password required ( in your case it depends which sevices are being used yahoo , hotmail or other ) .

( n ) Enter your gmail password and click on next , finally iCloud Keychain is set up in the new user account you can open mail application and click on get mail icon all mails will start downloading from the server .

( o ) Open notes application and click on continue all notes data saved in iCloud and in all google will start downloading and it will take time to download ( high network speed is essential ) .

( p ) Then open calendar and click on continue , click on view and show calendar list .

If you want to transfer pictures , movies , music , downloads contents from the home folder of first user account to the second user account .

Open pictures and press command and info change the permissions to read only the folder pictures will be unlocked , them drag and drop the folder on the desktop automatically you can view the contents of pictures in the second user account .

In messages you must be signed in with your Apple ID and password see this complete article Use Messages with your Mac - Apple Support

Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

Messages Settings preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Sep 23, 2018 10:33 AM in response to frog85g

What apps did you ever used in first user account , any anti virus or some softwares , third party applications that might have damaged the system files even in the new user test account iMessages is not working , so most probably you must reinstall the Mac OS see this article How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Try to install the latest upcoming version .

Sep 23, 2018 9:43 AM in response to tygb

Okay, so I created a new user on my Mac and logged into iCloud. Handoff worked this time and I was able to log in to iMessage and FaceTime. However, iMessage wouldn't let me send messages or receive new ones (it did download the ones that had been sent prior) and said "This user is not registered with iMessage" every time I tried to send something to someone through non-SMS. SMS attempted to send a message but would never send. FaceTime only let me call people through my phone and wouldn't let me video call anyone through FaceTime. Handoff worked perfectly tho, so there's a plus at least...

Sep 23, 2018 12:12 PM in response to frog85g

If you are using iCloud account , in system preferences - iCloud - iCloud Drive the box is checked ( click on options button ) documents and desktops , and rest of all folders are checked , also notes , calendars , contacts , photos are checked and you are using an imap account , once you erase the hard drive and reinstall os and again configure all of them they will start syncing with high network running .

Cleaning the hard drive is better some times than archive installation , some prefer using time machine for backups , but if the system files are already corrupted go for clean hard drive method .

Handoff, iMessages, and FaceTime Problems on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.