Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add new fonts to pages?

My mac system is 10.13 High Sierra. I need to edit some Chinese essays and need to use Songti or Kaiti. I found these fonts in the Fontbook and they are activated, however, they are not shown in pages. How to add more fonts to pages? Do I need to download some fonts online and install them to pages?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 9:13 AM

3 replies

Sep 23, 2018 10:00 AM in response to evan516

Ordinarily, if the fonts are visible in Font Book and activated, then they should appear in Pages too. Pages is a font spectator, and you cannot add fonts to Pages itself.

Boot your Mac into Safe Boot mode by pressing and holding the shift key at the chime ... until you see the progress bar. This boot mode is slower, and may introduce non-harmful visual aberrations during the boot process. Among other things, this special boot mode will rebuild the System font cache, and that should allow Pages to see these Chinese fonts. Reboot normally, and then check again to see if the Songti and Kaiti fonts are available in Pages own font menu.

The other thing you may need to do is in System Preferences : Language & Region — add the appropriate Chinese Preferred language, and in the Keyboard preferences panel, add the appropriate Input Source language.

Sep 23, 2018 11:31 AM in response to evan516

Songti and Kaiti, both Traditional and Simplified, are system fonts and installed by default.

Do you have the fonts disabled (they are grey with the word off next to them)?

Are you by any chance trying to use an oddball font file format?

macOS prefers Unicode .otf fonts especially for non-Latin scripts.

If you don't see the fonts in the font list, try typing their names in the font menu and it will jump to the font.

How to add new fonts to pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.