Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Plus Rapidly Connects & Disconnects

Hello all,

I am experiencing a frustrating issue.

My iPhone 7 plus does not connect to my Macbook Air. My guess is something is wrong with my Mac. Because I've used several cables (both original and other brands) I can connect to my phone with another computer but not with my Mac. I've tried resetting SMC and NVRAM (or PRAM, whatever you guys call it) I even did reset the whole system. But the problem remains.

In this situation does this mean something with the hardware is wrong? Because I believe I've tried every solution about the software. If there is another way, please help me out!

Note: Actually after resetting SMC the phone stayed connected about 10 seconds (which is way longer than previous experiences) after the login screen. I don't know if it is helpful information.

Another thing is, the phone stays connected as long as phone's battery is %100 percent. I believe there is something wrong with the voltage but how to solve it?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 12:14 AM

Since you have already reset the Mac's SMC & NVRAM, please try the following, in order. Stop at any step where the issue is resolved:

1. Boot up your Mac in Safe Mode.

What: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac- Apple Support

How: At boot-up, hold down the <shift> key until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

2. Run either Apple Hardware Test (AHT) (pre-2013 Macs) or Apple Diagnostics (2013+ Macs) to uncover any hardware issues with your Mac.

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics: Reference Codes - Apple Support

Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test- Apple Support

About the "Apple Hardware Test does not support this machine" message- Apple Support

How to Use Apple Hardware Test to Diagnose Mac Problems- OSXDaily

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 12:14 AM in response to Mistah Ja

Since you have already reset the Mac's SMC & NVRAM, please try the following, in order. Stop at any step where the issue is resolved:

1. Boot up your Mac in Safe Mode.

What: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac- Apple Support

How: At boot-up, hold down the <shift> key until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

2. Run either Apple Hardware Test (AHT) (pre-2013 Macs) or Apple Diagnostics (2013+ Macs) to uncover any hardware issues with your Mac.

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics: Reference Codes - Apple Support

Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test- Apple Support

About the "Apple Hardware Test does not support this machine" message- Apple Support

How to Use Apple Hardware Test to Diagnose Mac Problems- OSXDaily

Sep 25, 2018 3:44 PM in response to Mistah Ja

Here is the weird stuff.

My cable is original. In case of my cable is not original, I've tried my friends' iphone cables (which are came with the phone box) I've tried 3rd party cables with good quality (not imitation of Apple cable, another brand's lightning cable) non of them solved my problem.

Today I've bought AirPods for myself and tried its charging cable with my iPhone. It worked! I don't know why but it made sure there is nothing wrong with the Mac nor the phone. It is just the cable.

The question is why Apple cables wouldn't work 😕

Anyway, I solved my question without going to Apple Store or any other service center.

Sep 23, 2018 4:34 PM in response to Tesserax

Hello Tesserax,

Thanks for your reply. First I've booted up my Mac in Safe Mode as you say. Nothing's changed. The problem remains all the same.

Then I've used Diagnostic Tool to see if it come up with an error. But it says everyting's just fine.

While running the diagnostics (I've done it twice) I've connected my iPhone to my Mac. Then there was nothing wrong! It was just perfect. For one test, I've just connected the phone (which I did not experience any disconnection issue by the time) for the other test I've disconnected even the iPhone.

Diagnostics came up with nothing. So I'm starting to believe there is something wrong with the OS. (Latest OS 10.13.6) Even with a clean installation, how come it is just me, who experiences this issue?

By the way I've explored something. After login screen, after I enter my password, there are some couple of seconds which my phone stays connected. Not before login screen, not way after login screen, just after the very moment of login screen, my phone stays connected like 5-10 secs. I think there is an OS service which blocks the connection between the phone and Mac.

Can you help me out?

Sep 24, 2018 12:14 AM in response to Tesserax

Mid-2013.

I am trying to connect to both iTunes and XCode. iTunes for synchronising my phone (actually I've managed to synch it wireless) and for testing my app via XCode, using my phone as testing device.

But any way, when the OS boots up, I can no longer stay connected to my phone. It seems like there is something wrong with the Apple apps.

Sep 24, 2018 9:06 AM in response to Tesserax

Even before when I wasn't programming, the problem was occuring every time.

I didn't bother since I can synch wireless. But nowadays while testing an app, I need to connect my phone to this damned computer. It really bothers me.

I am selling this Macbook Air to my friend to buy a new MacBook Pro. My friend also uses iPhone. I don't know how frequent he will use data connection. But I don't want to sell a defected Mac to him.

Sep 24, 2018 9:16 AM in response to Mistah Ja

Even before when I wasn't programming, the problem was occuring every time.

... and if that is true even with a "clean" install of macOS, then as you suspect, there may be something "wrong" with this notebook.

As such, at this point, you can decide to take it to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to see if they can resolve this. You have basically exhausted all troubleshooting steps that I can provide you.

iPhone 7 Plus Rapidly Connects & Disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.