Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 15' retina display (late 2014) randomly crashing

Just started having problems with my MacBook Pro (late 2014) randomly crashing with no way to replicate the problem.

There is no 'crash window' or Log of the crash, the machine doesn't indicate it has crashed. It is simply off, black screen. I press the power and it chimes and boots up like nothing happened. As I'm typing this I just waiting for it to do it again.

- Tried full HD erase and OS and app reinstall. (doing that now and it continues to crash as I'm reinstalling everything, super annoying).

- Tried reseting the SMC.

- Disk utility doesn't see anything wrong.

Any thoughts or ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 12:14 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 23, 2018 12:51 PM in response to daelo

To help troubleshoot your Mac, I would suggest that you consider using EtreCheck and posting the resultant report for us to review. (Note: The EtreCheck report does NOT contain any personal information.)

• You can download EtreCheck fromhere.
  • Start EtreCheck from a normal user account. Optionally, you can run it from a user account with Administrator privileges.
  • Select a problem from the drop-down menu to enable the "Start EtreCheck" button. Optionally, you can add comments on what issues your Mac is experiencing, especially to aide others with similar Mac issues.
  • Click on Start EtreCheck
  • Allow the program to run to completion.
  • When done, select Report from the left-side window to display it.
  • Select the "Share Report" icon.

Select Copy Report

• Paste the report to your reply post.

Ref: Using EtreCheck - ASC (etresoft)

Sep 23, 2018 1:11 PM in response to daelo

There are panic logs stored at:

~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

any with Date&Time and ending in .panic could be copied and pasted here.

Please do not copy more than 20 lines of other crash reports, or anything after the words "Binary Images". These are only useful for developers actively debugging your system.

Unfortunately, erasing your drive also erased any stored up evidence of why this was happening.

Have you run Apple Hardware Test or the diagnostic provided by Internet Recovery?

macbook pro 15' retina display (late 2014) randomly crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.