Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deinterlace in FCPX 10.4.3

Is there any way to get deinterlacing to work correctly in FCPX 10.4.3 on High Sierra? I'm shooting with a Canon G20 and a Canon Vixia. In previous versions, I clicked deinterlace on the project and everything looks great. Now it looks like junk.

The camera is shooting in 29.97fps 1080i. I'm importing with EditReady because I've had this version of FCPX damage files (put slight garble in the top of the frame!), then link to the file in FCPX.

My video is just me waving my hand in front of the camera.

I then create a project as 1080p @ 59.94p rendering in Apple ProRes 422. I get lots of weird shadows that look like FCPX is trying to deinterlace.

I've tried upper/lower first Field dominance, checking or not checking the Deinterlace box. Then I tried a 29.97fps project with the same result.

How are you folks getting your deinterlace to work with camcorder footage? I have no problem with my point and shoot camera because it shoots in progressive but virtually all non-pro (read $$$) video cameras shoot in interlaced.

Thanks!

Final Cut Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), iMac i7 40GB memory

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 12:55 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 23, 2018 1:40 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

The options are: 60i, 30p, 24p.

The video sample is in this dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k6dcj3705fyp9r1/AABMeVl4m_AKF-j_4E7dwGbZa?dl=0

I shot in max resolution, MXP (24Mbps) at 60i, the best the Canon G20 can do. The footage was imported with EditReady using rewrap so there's no initial conversion out of the camera.

I've had this problem with other cameras, too. We figured out how to make this look good in previous versions of FCP but this latest has thrown us back into problem land.

Sep 23, 2018 8:46 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I see that gray blur on the right side of my hand. Are those artifacts as good as it gets without shooting progressive with a different camera?

I never see motion blur with TV shows that looks like this and I know outdoor adventure shows shoot cameras similar to mine, either Canon, Sony, or the like (Survivorman-type).

It would be sad/funny/annoying that the progressive footage off my point and shoot will always look better than with a higher-end camcorder.

Sep 24, 2018 4:33 AM in response to aaronlin

You might see something similar in progressive where there’s motion blur within the frame. You have to go to higher frame rates and high shutter speeds to reduce motion blur, but then you often get an unpleasant jerkiness that you see in some sports action.

Television stills supports interlaced playback which computer screens never have.

Sep 24, 2018 6:38 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

The motion blur is totally expected. It's that weird gray that shows in your image, over the pinky side of my hand.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k6dcj3705fyp9r1/AABMeVl4m_AKF-j_4E7dwGbZa?dl=0

The Handbrake converted files are in there with labels in the names.

I found a program called Handbrake based on other's suggestions. I took the video I posted in the above dropbox link, then ran it through Handbrake on their Fast 1080p30 conversion and also the HQ conversion. The deinterlace looks great! No weird gray bands on my hand. Is there any setting in FCPX that'll make a deinterlace that looks as good as handbrake?

Nearly all of my video goes onto Youtube and Amazon prime, so it's all progressive. If I get a TV show from my work, then I'll bet someone will have better tools, but I can't believe that FCPX can't do this properly. There have to be 100's of thousands of camcorder people that edit in FCPX, so they must all have the same problem, right?

I'll have to try filming in progressive 30fps. I can't believe that camcorders and editing for online just don't match or there's not a "right" way to do this.

Deinterlace in FCPX 10.4.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.