Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is near each fan on 2018 15" mbp?

I need to know because I want to use my Macs Fan Control to control fan speeds (I want to run higher speeds) but in order to do this, I must set a temperature source for each fan. Not knowing what is near each fan, I can't properly set this up. I tried looking everywhere online with no luck.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 1:21 PM

The Mac (every model) runs its fans in a feedback loop, based on measured temperatures inside at several different places.

What you are suggesting to do should be unnecessary, because the Mac generally takes care of running the fans faster when it measures higher temperatures.

No one has the information you seek, because the Mac takes care of it itself. The voltage for each fan is adjusted until the fan speed, as seen by the fan's RPM output, is appropriate for the temperatures measured.

If you wish to fiddle with it anyway, programs that call themselves "fan control" can place a new floor under the minimum fan speeds. They should NOT be able to reduce fan speeds from the defaults, as that would allow your computer to overheat. So in that way they are not truly fan control.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 1:21 PM in response to God Himself

The Mac (every model) runs its fans in a feedback loop, based on measured temperatures inside at several different places.

What you are suggesting to do should be unnecessary, because the Mac generally takes care of running the fans faster when it measures higher temperatures.

No one has the information you seek, because the Mac takes care of it itself. The voltage for each fan is adjusted until the fan speed, as seen by the fan's RPM output, is appropriate for the temperatures measured.

If you wish to fiddle with it anyway, programs that call themselves "fan control" can place a new floor under the minimum fan speeds. They should NOT be able to reduce fan speeds from the defaults, as that would allow your computer to overheat. So in that way they are not truly fan control.

What is near each fan on 2018 15" mbp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.