Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i really need the touch bar

i'm going to purchase an MacBook pro. just wondering if i need the touch bar. the person at the apple store was gently promoting it.

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 7:27 PM

I have the 2016 model with the Touch Bar and I like it but I wouldn't go nearly as far as to say I need it. The Touch ID (fingerprint unlock which is also used by some apps that support it -- e.g., 1Password) is very handy. Microsoft Word, Excel, etc support using other things on the Touch Bar but for me they are minimally helpful. If you use Apple apps such as Pages, Numbers, Safari there is more support for the Touch Bar but Firefox, for example, does not make use of it. In summary, I like it but it's not a huge deal.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2018 7:27 PM in response to Dorey

I have the 2016 model with the Touch Bar and I like it but I wouldn't go nearly as far as to say I need it. The Touch ID (fingerprint unlock which is also used by some apps that support it -- e.g., 1Password) is very handy. Microsoft Word, Excel, etc support using other things on the Touch Bar but for me they are minimally helpful. If you use Apple apps such as Pages, Numbers, Safari there is more support for the Touch Bar but Firefox, for example, does not make use of it. In summary, I like it but it's not a huge deal.

do i really need the touch bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.