Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Xs Max screen brightness and tint

I noticed the screen on my iPhone Xs Max doesn't seem to get as bright as my iPhone 7 Plus. The tint also seems to be a little off and bit yellowish. When I have them side by side the white backdrop on messages, Facebook, etc on the 7 it seems brighter and more white the Xs. This is my first OLED so i'm not sure if this is natural thing but I'm hearing others are having this issue on the X also. I do have a screen protector on the Xs but it's fully clear glass and when I lay over the spare screen protector on the 7 theres no change on the screen. I try turning the True Tone on and off. True Tone seems way too yellow/orange, as if night shift mode is on. I've seen it on the demo units in stores and looks nothing like it.

iPhone Xs Max, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2019 2:44 PM

ATTENTION: YELLOW SCREEN IS SELF FIXABLE! I noticed this yellow tint on my iPhone XS Max and was obsessed on fixing it. Finally figured it out and it looks better then my previous iPhone X and earlier phones now. In fact, it’s perfect now. Follow my directions:

Disclaimer: Make sure True Tone and Nightshift are off first. If the yellow tint is still there, which it was in my case, here is the fix:

No More Yellow!

1. Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Turn on Color Filters
  2. Tap Color Tint and verify it’s checked
  3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look. (I personally recommend this setting at around 30%)
  4. Then adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference (I personally recommend this setting at around 65%)

Want additional brightness?

Additional optional setting:

Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > TURN OFF Reduce White Point

I’ve attached a screenshot of my settings but If you have any questions, or want me to send you additional screenshots personally of the perfect settings.

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2019 2:44 PM in response to Chris8826

ATTENTION: YELLOW SCREEN IS SELF FIXABLE! I noticed this yellow tint on my iPhone XS Max and was obsessed on fixing it. Finally figured it out and it looks better then my previous iPhone X and earlier phones now. In fact, it’s perfect now. Follow my directions:

Disclaimer: Make sure True Tone and Nightshift are off first. If the yellow tint is still there, which it was in my case, here is the fix:

No More Yellow!

1. Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Turn on Color Filters
  2. Tap Color Tint and verify it’s checked
  3. Navigate to the HUE slider and move it left or right until you reach your desired screen look. (I personally recommend this setting at around 30%)
  4. Then adjust the INTENSITY slider left or right to suit your preference (I personally recommend this setting at around 65%)

Want additional brightness?

Additional optional setting:

Visit your Settings App > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > TURN OFF Reduce White Point

I’ve attached a screenshot of my settings but If you have any questions, or want me to send you additional screenshots personally of the perfect settings.

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

Sep 26, 2018 11:39 AM in response to Chris8826

I'm having the same issue on both my new XS and XS Max and I'm not willing to believe it has anything to do with the glue needing to dry and having to wait a few days to notice a difference. What's up with this Apple? I purchased the XS to see a vast improvement in screen clarity and resolution and both the XS and Max seem dull in comparison to my 8plus & 7plus. Knowing the why? behind this would be very helpful!!!

Sep 26, 2018 11:42 AM in response to j.lukedesign

j.lukedesign wrote:

I'm having the same issue on both my new XS and XS Max and I'm not willing to believe it has anything to do with the glue needing to dry and having to wait a few days to notice a difference. What's up with this Apple? I purchased the XS to see a vast improvement in screen clarity and resolution and both the XS and Max seem dull in comparison to my 8plus & 7plus. Knowing the why? behind this would be very helpful!!!

Apple isn't here and won't respond to you. We are all users on this Apple hosted forum.

Sep 26, 2018 12:13 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I’m starting to see some improvements. Not sure it was my eyes ,the environment or if it was the display “settling”. I saw that keeping it at a moderate brightness helped. I don’t need it at max brightness as it does seem to get pretty bright. But I’ll keep an eye on it. I was able to compare it to a store demo at Best Buy yesterday at the exact settings and it was identical to mine.

Sep 30, 2018 12:14 AM in response to joenissan

The easiest thing to do would be to go to your local Apple Store and see if there's an XS/XS Max that doesn't have the display issue you find displeasing.

If you are contemplating a return anyway, you can even wait to do that right before you turn in your device for a refund.

LCDs and OLEDs are two different technologies, one being backlit and one being emissive. As part of that OLEDs typically are not as "bright" as backlit LCDs, but have pure black images as compared to a little backlight leaking through even on an all-black LCD screen.

Sep 30, 2018 1:55 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

The iPhone X is OLED. When comparing XS to X, you can see the tint only on the XS. This is not an OLED vs LCD issue. This is a XS issue plain and simple. Not enough of an issue to completely return the phone, however it does warrant further inspection from an Apple rep. There is also talk about the panels coming from 2 different manufacturers. I’ve set an appointment for Monday at Apple to see if they have more insight to this. As of now, I still have my X that I need to go trade in on Monday so it will be the perfect opportunity to show the significant difference to Apple regarding this yellowish tint. I love the XS Max, especially due to its screen size, however it’s annoying to know that I spent $1500 on a phone whose display quality looks worse then my previous phone that is also an OLED.

Sep 30, 2018 1:59 AM in response to joenissan

I’m going to Apple on Monday. Before my appointment starts. I’m going to compared my XS Max and my previous X to theirs that they have on display. The apple reps will definitely see the difference since even my 68 year old mother can see the huge difference in quality. Let’s see if they replace the phone and if the replacement shows a better display quality. I’ll report back here by Tuesday.

Jan 2, 2019 12:09 PM in response to Chris8826

Ok I had purchased IPhone X’s max and was really upset that the brightness of my phone was very low. It happened that I literally started crying wondering why I wasted such a huge money on something. But I finally found the solution. It has nothing to do with True Tone. Go to setting -> accessibility-> display accommodation -> switch off reduce white point and it’s done. Now my phone is brighter than the moon. Very happy to get the problem solved....! Do let me know if it was helpful.

Jan 4, 2019 3:10 AM in response to hatem186

this is true, I’ve tried adjusting the color tint and everything on my Xs and it still isn’t as clean a white as my 6s!What’s up with that?! Doing a side by side comparison, pictures after pictures, with my 6s and my Xs, the 6s has a much more brighter, truer, and cleaner white than the Xs has, and that’s very irritating that I can’t get that same bright white on my new $1300 phone.

iPhone Xs Max screen brightness and tint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.