Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to run Windows 10 on my Mac, but having Problems!

Ok, so I have been trying to get Windows 10 running on my 2010 13 Inch MacBook Pro, which I upgraded with a Samsung SSD 860 EVO and 16 GB Of ram. (I also took out the Optical drive for a second SSD to run in Raid 0 - I had to delete that since it didn't work with Windows.) I tried following a Youtube guide by making a copy of Bootcamp and editing the files - and I got everything to work, and the Mac is booting from the USB Flash drive I made - but there are only two options when I hold Alt. The regular Mac os and EFI Boot. When I click EFI Boot, I go through the setup process - until I have to choose my hard drive. I choose the drive that has enough space (400 Gb. The other ones have 0 to 200 MB, so that can't be it.) At first, it said something about NTFS. So I clicked "Format" and that worked - now it's saying the "Selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI Systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT Disks." Is there any way to fix this? I have a Windows 10 Disk that I purchased from Microsoft, do I have to use that? Or do I have to run Windows 7??

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 5:37 PM

A 2010 Mac does not support W10. It only supports W7/W8.1 and uses legacy BIOS, not EFI. All suggestions to modify Bootcamp files, use a USB, etc., will lead to problems, with bad/incorrect/non-functional drivers.

The designated Windows disk should be in the main bay of the Mac. If you need macOS, it can be on the second disk.

If you still have the original internal Optical drive, I suggest you use it to install Windows 7/8.1 using DVD. If you must have W10, then upgrade the W7/W8.1 to W10 in-place. This allows the W7/W8.1 Apple-provided BC drivers to function properly under W10.

Similar questions

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2018 5:37 PM in response to Lionhead876

A 2010 Mac does not support W10. It only supports W7/W8.1 and uses legacy BIOS, not EFI. All suggestions to modify Bootcamp files, use a USB, etc., will lead to problems, with bad/incorrect/non-functional drivers.

The designated Windows disk should be in the main bay of the Mac. If you need macOS, it can be on the second disk.

If you still have the original internal Optical drive, I suggest you use it to install Windows 7/8.1 using DVD. If you must have W10, then upgrade the W7/W8.1 to W10 in-place. This allows the W7/W8.1 Apple-provided BC drivers to function properly under W10.

Sep 26, 2018 6:59 PM in response to Lionhead876

See Install Windows 7 on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support for reference. On the 2010 model, you will need to use the built-in Optical drive and the designated disk in the main disk bay. Once Windows is up and running, you can replace the Optical drive with the second disk.

Your BC Assistant should have only two options - Download and Install.

Sep 24, 2018 8:03 PM in response to Lionhead876

From the link you provided ...

If you have a newer Mac (i.e. a model from [late] 2013 or later), you're in luck; Bootcamp actually installs Windows in EFI mode as a standard.

You have a 2010 Mac. 😉 The above statement should be corrected to say

• 2013 or older models only support BIOS mode,
  • Late 2013 - 2014 models support both BIOS and EFI (these are transition models),
  • 2015 and later models support only EFI.

Also, see Resolved - Install a Windows 7 partition on Mac OSX without Optical Drive or USB | MacRumors Forums .

Sep 25, 2018 7:26 PM in response to Loner T

Hey!

Long story short - I booted into Windows 10 following the guide, but the drivers won't install cuz their not supported. I think I'll just go with Windows 7, I've been spending weeks trying to figure this out. Is there a guide you can link me to install with the disk? After I take out my second SSD and put the optical drive back in, Do I install windows 7 from a disk? And can I put the SSD back in afterward? Thanks! Hopefully, everything goes smoothly from now, and I won't have to bother you! 🙂

Sep 30, 2018 1:11 PM in response to Lionhead876

Lionhead876 wrote:

Sure! I just went to Disk Utility on the Internet Recovery and for one of the drives I see 70 gb of free space but can't repartition it. I'll try that command.

EDIT : Everytime I try it, it says command not found. I made sure to look at it and im typing it correctly, and im replacing N for 0s3

In Recovery, you can use

gpt -vv -r show /dev/diskN

and diskN should be the full disk, like disk0, disk1, disk2, etc., not the specific slice like disk0s3.

The Video shows errors.

Sep 30, 2018 4:50 PM in response to Loner T

Hey!

Both of these drives I wiped. I have an external hard drive that I used SuperDuper on - this program copies all the files from my main ssd to the external hard drive, so that means it is a bootable drive as well. its a usb 1 tb hard drive that i use to copy my files to and the recopy back on my raid ssd (which i have deleted in attempt to run bootcamp.)

Sep 30, 2018 6:16 PM in response to Lionhead876

I did notice the error. If you have wiped both disks, I suggest installing Windows on the main bay disk using a DVD after the Optibay is temporarily disconnected. Once Windows is fully functional, you can add the second disk and restore your SuperDuper backup to the Optibay disk. You can then test and verify.

To disconnect the Optibay disk, disconnect the SATA cable from the disk end, not the Logic Board.

Trying to run Windows 10 on my Mac, but having Problems!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.