Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not recognizing iPod Touch

I updated to iOS 12 on my 6th generation iPod Touch and for the first time connected it to my computer. Photos pops right open and recognizes it, but iTunes does not. I have restarted the computer and the iPod. Tried three different cables. Under System Information the iPod shows up as connected to the USB port. I don't run any third party security software. This has got to be a software issue. Any suggestions?

iPod touch, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 7:01 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 23, 2018 7:10 PM in response to Ulysses93

Follow the instructions on this thread: iTunes 12.8.0.150 Doesn't See iPhone

I never did get it to install the extra update by connecting my iPod Touch, but when I connected a new iPhone (running same version of iOS as the iPod), it worked. And once the additional update was installed, it recognized my iPods, too.

Good luck, it drove me CRAZY trying to solve this today.

Nov 4, 2018 6:56 PM in response to LexieCat

Yup. I tried all that but never got an additional update to install. Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone I can plug in to force the update. It seems pretty clear that this will only be solved by updating iTunes to 12.9 for High Sierra and Sierra as well. When I shutdown my iPod Touch and there start it up again while connected to USB iTunes even gives me a pop up saying that I need to enter my passcode, but when I enter it iTunes still does not recognize the iPod Touch. Maddening.

iTunes not recognizing iPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.