Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iPhone from iCloud backup

Hello,

Just bought the new iPhone XS and chose the option of restoring the backup of my previous iPhone 7 plus. It seems that every thing was indeed transferred to my new phone, but 24 hours has passed and whenever i want to upgrade the software to iOS 12 I still receive a message saying that "You can install this update when your iPhone is finished restoring from iCloud backup". I am sure my hone is already restored and I don't know how to continue. Thank you!

iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Sep 23, 2018 11:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 1:44 AM

Hello Ayelet219,

Congratulations on your new iPhone Xs! I see that you're wanting to update to iOS 12, however you're encountering a message indicating that the iPhone Xs is still restoring from your iCloud backup. I would be happy to help provide some information about this behavior.

The following support article provides some common scenarios that could cause the restore process to continue, despite the data appearing to have already been restored:

If iCloud Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore - Apple Support

Specifically, check out this section:

If a message says that your restore is incomplete or some items won't restore

These messages mean that you disconnected from Wi-Fi during the restore process or that some of your apps or content couldn't be restored. Here are some possible causes and what you can do about each:

• If a message says something like, "Restoring 350 of 1200 items," then your photos are probably still being restored. Keep your device connected to a reliable Wi-Fi network and a power outlet so that the process can finish.
  • If you see a grayed-out app or one that takes a long time to load, make sure that you're connected to a Wi-Fi network. Next, tap the app to pause the process, then tap it again to continue. If this doesn’t fix the issue, delete and redownload the app.
  • When your backup contains purchases that were made from more than one Apple ID, a message asks you to sign in with multiple Apple IDs. If you can’t remember a password or didn't purchase an app using your own Apple ID account, you might see this message:
    "Some apps or content can’t be restored, because they are no longer available in the iTunes or App Store, were purchased with a different account, or were synced from your computer." If you have this content saved in iTunes on your Mac or PC, try syncing your device with your computer to restore your content.

If you would like to stop the restore process from continuing beyond this point, you can do that by going to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup then tap Stop Restoring iPhone.

Cheers!
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2018 1:44 AM in response to Ayelet219

Hello Ayelet219,

Congratulations on your new iPhone Xs! I see that you're wanting to update to iOS 12, however you're encountering a message indicating that the iPhone Xs is still restoring from your iCloud backup. I would be happy to help provide some information about this behavior.

The following support article provides some common scenarios that could cause the restore process to continue, despite the data appearing to have already been restored:

If iCloud Backup couldn’t be completed or you can’t restore - Apple Support

Specifically, check out this section:

If a message says that your restore is incomplete or some items won't restore

These messages mean that you disconnected from Wi-Fi during the restore process or that some of your apps or content couldn't be restored. Here are some possible causes and what you can do about each:

• If a message says something like, "Restoring 350 of 1200 items," then your photos are probably still being restored. Keep your device connected to a reliable Wi-Fi network and a power outlet so that the process can finish.
  • If you see a grayed-out app or one that takes a long time to load, make sure that you're connected to a Wi-Fi network. Next, tap the app to pause the process, then tap it again to continue. If this doesn’t fix the issue, delete and redownload the app.
  • When your backup contains purchases that were made from more than one Apple ID, a message asks you to sign in with multiple Apple IDs. If you can’t remember a password or didn't purchase an app using your own Apple ID account, you might see this message:
    "Some apps or content can’t be restored, because they are no longer available in the iTunes or App Store, were purchased with a different account, or were synced from your computer." If you have this content saved in iTunes on your Mac or PC, try syncing your device with your computer to restore your content.

If you would like to stop the restore process from continuing beyond this point, you can do that by going to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup then tap Stop Restoring iPhone.

Cheers!

Restoring iPhone from iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.