Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.13.6 slows down the opening of Aperture

A few days ago I updated my OS to 10.13.6, since then Aperture 3.6 has been slow in opening. It used to be almost instantaneous but now it takes up to 70 seconds before the first pictures appear, in use changing libraries takes up to 40 seconds. Whilst this isn't a great problem I am concerned that it could indicate that there are problems with the app or the H/D.

I used the Aperture First Aid but this didn't have any effect, I re-installed the Aperture app, no effect. I also updated a number of other apps. at the same time, those which weren't Apple products I have trashed for the time being, but again with no effect to the problem.

I have a Super Duper back-up which I made prior to downloading 10.13.6, so I could go back and re-install the OS to what it was before 10.13.6, but this seems like taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut. Is there a simple, less drastic solution?

None of my other apps have problems only Aperture. I have been using Aperture for about nine years and have never had this problem before.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 3TB Fusion Drive

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 6:39 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 24, 2018 2:54 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for your reply.

Holding down the shift key doesn't have any effect.

My two Aperture libraries are managed and are on the internal hard drive.

There might be a related problem concerning Time Machine. Prior to updating the OS on 19 September I also did a Time Machine back-up, I delayed doing another back-up until today when I did do the back-up today I found that it was backing up 69.02 GB, where did that come from, I have no idea.

Sep 26, 2018 11:35 AM in response to darnok2209

Well I investigated incompatible login items, following the Apple Support advice but this had no effect. Also tried the disc utility First Aid - no effect.

I then restored the HD back to before I downloaded 10.13.6 using Time Machine - no change. So it looks as if I am lumbered with always seeing the spinning ball when I use Aperture, annoying as before 10.13.6 Aperture was very fast.

Perhaps this is Apple's way of getting me to dump Aperture.

OS 10.13.6 slows down the opening of Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.