Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange Account Keeps Disappearing from Internet Accounts on macOS Mojave

I just upgraded to macOS Mojave. Previously, I was unable to add my Exchange account because we require 2FA and disable app passwords, and the prior macOS didn't support the newer Web-based 2FA (unlike iOS).

Anyhow, so now it lets me add it just fine--opens the Web window, I sign in, I approve 2FA notification. I choose Done to add all the different things (mail, calendar, etc.). Things start showing up--mail, calendar items, etc.

Then randomly, sometimes within seconds, other times minutes, even like 30m-hr once, the account just disappears.

I suspect, maybe, this was due to prior failed attempts to set it up on prior macOS, and somehow the commands to remove the failed account are out in the iCloud system (you know, it asks if you want to Remove from All when removing..).

I can't imagine a way to tell it, no, really I really want this account no really. I just keep re-adding it, hoping it will eventually take, but it's pretty annoying.

Any other suggestions?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Mojave (10.14), Late 2018

Posted on Sep 24, 2018 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2018 8:07 PM

I'd been having this problem, too, this week, and wound up chatting with Apple support about it. They said a new internal document today was suggesting the screen recording, and set up a call for later today after I'd made the recording.

But actually, once the support desk called me to connect me with engineering, they were able to help me fix it without escalating it further. They had me reset my keychain completely, then restart the computer. Once I did that, I was able to re-add the Exchange account, authenticate with third-party oAuth, and even turn iCloud Keychain back on. So far, seems to be working well.

Hopefully they'll have pushed a new update out before the next time I have to change my Exchange password, which I think is partly what triggered this whole glitch on my end. Good luck to anyone trying it for themselves, too!

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2018 8:07 PM in response to ambrogio

I'd been having this problem, too, this week, and wound up chatting with Apple support about it. They said a new internal document today was suggesting the screen recording, and set up a call for later today after I'd made the recording.

But actually, once the support desk called me to connect me with engineering, they were able to help me fix it without escalating it further. They had me reset my keychain completely, then restart the computer. Once I did that, I was able to re-add the Exchange account, authenticate with third-party oAuth, and even turn iCloud Keychain back on. So far, seems to be working well.

Hopefully they'll have pushed a new update out before the next time I have to change my Exchange password, which I think is partly what triggered this whole glitch on my end. Good luck to anyone trying it for themselves, too!

Sep 27, 2018 10:06 AM in response to ambrogio

This is what I've tried now:

1. Logged out of iCloud
  2. Added the account back
  3. Logged back into iCloud

And... no luck. Account stuck around for about 10 minutes and is gone again.

I suspect this is due to choosing yes to remove the account from all computers since this computer worked fine until I clicked that button yesterday after having issues on another computer. Since then I haven't been able to get the account to stick for more then 30 minutes.

Jan 9, 2019 2:55 PM in response to ambrogio

Here is what I did. So far, so good. The steps I followed were that I

1. turned off keychain in the iCloud preferences,
  2. deleted all keychains with exchange in its name (those related to Exchange only),
  3. deleted Exchange from both my Mac and my iPhone,
  4. turned on keychain in the iCloud preferences,
  5. added in my Exchange account on my mac using one email address associated with my account, then
  6. added in my Exchange account on my iPhone using another email address associated with my account.

I have two email addresses associated with the same email account in Exchange (I send and receive from and to the same account using two different email addresses).

Like I said, this has worked for me so far.

Jan 10, 2019 7:48 AM in response to willfromcoppell

I found success with only one of your steps, like the Hope Diamond shimmering among of pile of mined ore. Having never reset Keychain or turned off the iCloud Keychain, I only:

1. Added back the Settings / Internet Account for Exchange but *omitted Contacts*
  2. Opened Contacts
  3. In Contacts, on the menu, selected Preferences / Accounts tab / Exchange item, and checked "Enable this account"
  4. That took me back to Settings / Internet Accounts where I checked on the Contacts checkbox for Exchange

Sep 27, 2018 8:52 AM in response to superbam

Still working through it. I think I've narrowed it down to being an iCloud thing, because 1) I could replicate it on another new Mac signed into my iCloud, 2) creating a temp user w/o signing into iCloud made it work (it wouldn't remove it), and 3) creating another new user, signing into iCloud and adding replicated the problem. (Oh, and the account sticks around fine on iOS both iPad and iPhone.)

Apple was trying to push me over to Microsoft, but I think they're gonna stick with me and help resolve. Waiting to hear back at this point..

Sep 27, 2018 8:54 AM in response to ambrogio

I was just about to post nearly the same conclusion. They had me reset the NVRAM and boot into safe mode to try to figure this out. In safe mode it worked fine so I wiped my account and created a new one. Signed into iCloud and started setting everything back up. It worked great until a minute ago when whatever is happening in the background happened again. I was trying to add a delegate calendar from Exchange and something flipped out and now the account is gone again. At this point I'm pretty frustrated since I have about 3 hours into resolving this.

Sep 28, 2018 8:49 AM in response to ambrogio

I have stumbled upon some more information about this.

While researching another issue, I found that I couldn't create app passwords in O365/Azure AD much like how you aren't allowed to. After disabling and then re-enabling MFA the app password creation issue was resolved and I could create an app password.

As a test I chose Configure Manually in the Exchange Internet Account wizard and used the app password. I was able to connect and the account has stuck around for over an hour now. I was also able to enable it on my Mac mini without issue.

Unfortunately this doesn't help you right now but perhaps it will be useful for getting Apple to figure out what is going wrong.

Oct 3, 2018 3:45 PM in response to moedavis

Moe, I did that but was surprised to see that after disabling Keychain in iCloud and adding my Exchange account, within a few minutes the Exchange account disappeared and Keychain was re-enabled. Tried again but this time did not add the Exchange account and Keychain still re-enabled itself again. Maybe a separate issue or could be related?

Oct 4, 2018 6:49 AM in response to moedavis

moedavis, thanks, I can confirm this is an effective workaround for me, too.

So I think we've narrowed it down to the iCloud Keychain, particularly for macOS.

I couldn't find reliable info on how to reset the iCloud Keychain. I think I'd be willing to go through that pain to get it all working again. I've looked at the relevant Apple articles, but most deal with the case of being locked out, from what I can tell. And I'm a little squeamish to muck around too much with this. LOL I'm half wondering if I can just live with this MBP being disconnected from Keychain..

Oct 10, 2018 8:10 AM in response to jens_francis

My case is still open. I last talked to the support rep yesterday. He is in communication with "engineers" about the issue, who had additional questions. I told them about this thread and specifically that I and others have narrowed it down to iCloud Keychain. It turns out that was one of the questions the engineers had, so here's hoping this will help them get to the bottom of it.

Oct 11, 2018 6:54 AM in response to moedavis

Did anyone get anywhere with support on this? I can confirm it is linked to iCloud keychain with exchange Modern Auth enabled. To be honest the first support rep didn’t know what oAuth was.

My support experience has been very poor so with Apple. Slow and asking quite silly questions even after console logs provide on the issue showing a timeout and exchange account being removed. Requested escalation and if this will be fixed in the next incremental update.

Got quite a few machines with this issue and so far the only creditable response I have received was, reinstall 10.14...

Appreciate the troubleshooting steps, but come on, handed the logs and walked them through the issue.

Oct 25, 2018 2:10 PM in response to mikemadden

Thanks, mikemadden. Once someone else narrowed it down to Keychain, I thought resetting it would probably fix it, but I couldn't find a reliable way to do it when I searched. Your link makes it so easy I did a facepalm.

All, Mike's fix has been working for me for several hours, with Keychain enabled in iCloud. That's longer than it ever made it before, so I consider that solution as "The Solution" to my problem. Will still let you know if Apple says anything more to me.

Note that it does make it where you have to sign into like everything again, so it kinda ***** that way, but I'm fine with it. I use another password service for most things anyhow. It is also making FaceTime misbehave on my Mac, so I gotta figure that one out. The call icons are all grayed out... don't wanna hijack this thread tho.

Exchange Account Keeps Disappearing from Internet Accounts on macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.